Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bought new 2011 north country lakeside in 2012

1. Print this Post   #1

Bought new 2011 north country lakeside in 2012

We purchase a brand new 2011 heartland camper in April of 2012. so it is a carry over from 2011 and had been sitting on the lot for awhile. Here is my situation and i would like some input if i should feel fustrated or if it is normal for this stuff to go wrong.

We first took the camper out a few days after we purchased it and the furnace did not work. They did come out to the campground and rigged something up so we did have heat. We dropped it off on way home so they could work on the furnace. We asked them to replace the kitchen faucet which had a chunk missing out of the texture coating. There were places on the camper on the outside that had cracked caulking that need to be replaced, we were suppose to get a spare tire cover as the one on it from the lot was sun rotted, and we were missing the female end on the mini blinds to hook into the holder when traveling.

they took it in and said they fixed it all. We got it back and the only thing they had fixed was the furnace, no tire cover, no end on blinds, some of the caulk had been done and faucet ordered. ok....waiting...waiting...

so mean while...first time i take shower, the shower leaks all over the floor...so we call to take it in for that.. while the camper is in the shop they call me to ask if we can bring it in to put the faucet in....um already there...... and that wasn't the first time...we had it in for somethign else and they called and wanted us to bring it in for something ...and it was already at the shop! we have had water leak in bathroom from under the cubboard and figured out it was coming from the side where the water hookup is and some other stuff the caulk is all failing....

had to fight to get the spare tire cover, still have no end for mini blinds, now bedroom window leaking, it is looking like the outside wall covering is coming away from the wall! All they could tell me is that i have to look at the caulk every 90 days it is just going to be 90 days. Now they tell me because we have it set up on a seasonal spot we have to pay the service call. we have extended warranty so we have to pay the deductible.

while the camper has been at the shop our antenna has been unhooked, the power cord has been totally pushed in the little hole! try to get that out!!!! I just feel that yes, it is a 2011 but still brand new and we should not be having all this trouble already. they make me feel like i am being a pain. i would understand if it was 6 months, a year down the road.....but from day 1 have had trouble.

LMK your honest opinion...
    Thanks

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Bought new 2011 north country lakeside in 2012

It appears you have a dealership problem. When they call you to bring the trailer in and it's there, that's scary. I think I would start looking for another dealer to take it too and have Heartland assist you finding one. Since you didn't buy it from them they might not be happy to work on it but they might do a better job and at least know it's there.
    Westwind
    2015 3500 D/A GMC Sierra SLE CC Short bed SW
    2008 2500 D/A GMC Sierra Extracab Shortbed
    Trailer Saver BD3 Air Bag Fifthwheel hitch
    2012 Bighorn 3070RL
    Past Trailer 2002 Sunnybrook 26FK
    Past Hitch Hensley Arrow Hitch

3. Print this Post   #3

i dont get it....why.....what really scare me now...is that the person that sold it to me said that they registered all our items or did the warranty card stuff for us so we didn't have to. All my stuff is in the camper 2 hours away, so i have to look to see if my cards are actually in the package yet or if they sent them in or online registered. i would think i would be able to contact the various manufactures to see if we are registered don't you think?

Debating on going straight to the owners...they are one of the biggest dealers in southern mn

4. Print this Post   #4

I say, make a list, have them write in down on a work order.
    I know that the shop is 2 hours away, but a strong voice in the service department gets things fixed. Just so I'm clear, focus on the work that needs to be done, speak with a loud clear voice, no yelling, no name calling and no blaming.
    New trailers do have problems, and expecting to have them fix in a timely fashion is not unreasonably. Remember focus on what needs to be fixed and a time line for completing all the work.
    2001 D-Max 3/4 ton,
    70 Gal Transfer Flow , Banks Bullet Tuner
    2011 NorthTrail 27RL 5th Wheel
    Yamaha 3000iSE/B
    Xantrex 1800 Watt Inverter, 4 6V Battery's
    1 Wife & 5 Poodles

5. Print this Post   #5

Honestly,

Did you even do a PDI or walkthrough? You should have never left the lot unless you personally checked that all of these things were working. You should have ran the shower, scoured the outside looking for the caulk issues, ensure they ordered the tire cover before you left. You should have ran the furnace and ensured the heat was working, ran the A/C etc. If you did all this then the issues arose then thats different. You asked for an honest opinion. We have to be smart buyers, out smart the poor dealers.

Zack
    Zack & Kelsea

2014 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat Supercrew 4x4 Long Bed

2015 Heartland Road Warrior 415

Heartland Member # 2159

6. Print this Post   #6

RTRT94,

Sorry you're having these problems. I think we all feel a bit helpless and put upon when he have to take our rigs in for service.

Some of the issues you've described may be due to the actual age of the trailer, rather than the length of time you've had it. Some models have a sticker on the frame that shows the build date. You might find your 2011 model was built in 2010. If so, it could have been sitting in the sun at the dealer, not getting the caulking checked or maintained (inside and outside). Given your experience with strange things happening to the rig while at the dealer, you can imagine that one or two strange things might have happened while it sat waiting to be sold.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in someone calling you to bring the rig in when it's already there. The person who called probably has no visibility to which rigs are already there for service. The faucet probably showed up and triggered a call.

Hopefully you'll get these problems behind you and can just settle down to enjoy your RV.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

7. Print this Post   #7

We did a walk through but honestly never heard of a pdi until
    I found this site after we bought our camper. I.have to say next. time if there is one i will be very picky.
    I just feel we are paying the price now for buying hold over. We are new to the buying a new camper
    Always had used. Guess should have done more research.

8. Print this Post   #8

I received the same kind of "service" from the same dealership. They claim they are one of the fastest growing dealers in MN. With service as poor as theirs' that won't last forever...Don
    Don & Kathy, Daisy Mae the rescue pup.
    She drives...He sits behind the steering wheel
    2016 SOB
    2015 Chev D/A 3500 Dually

9. Print this Post   #9

i Called Heartland today just to find out exactly when our camper was made, it was 3/2010. i told the Customer Service guy about our caulking issues with the camper and that dealer said we should be checking it every 90 days when we have barely had it 90 days. Told him about the fiberglass pulling away from the wall on the outside and he said he was calling dealer directly. When he called back he stated that once on the dealers lot they should be doing lot maintenace on campers as long as they sit there. Also it should have never left the lot with out being resealed being that it had sat there so long. so long story short we are getting camper resealed and wall fixed at no cost to us. Not sure how Dealer will feel about me calling Heartland directly but not sure i really care!

Guess lesson learned, next time i will call manufacturer directly to see when camper was made no matter what date says on sticker! Shame on them for trying to blame me for not doing maintenace on a 2 year old camper!
    Last edited by RTRT94; 08-07-2012 at 08:46 PM.

10. Print this Post   #10

RTRT94, It is ok to step on toe's or go over someones head. You Just need to do it nice. It sounds like that is what was done. Now that Heartland is up to speed things should move better. Ernie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast