Grey Tank(s) Leaking

gotlieb

We used our new Greystone this weekend and I have a question on the grey tanks. We have 2 grey tanks, not sure how they are set up as we only have one bathroom and no outside kitchen (shower to one and kitchen and bath sinks to the other? I don't know).

This is my first unit with any type of plumbing system (used to have a pop-up with just an external drain). When my father-in-law was showing me how the dump station works (while at the camp site), there was an excessive amount of grey water that came out when we uncapped the pipe that is used to dump the tanks. We checked the valve handles and they were fully closed. After we capped the pipe back up, we took it up to the dump station. Once there, we uncapped the pipe again, and about another gallon of grey water came out.

My question is this: Is this normal, or is there some sort of leak in the grey water valves that is allowing water to come out when the valve is "closed"?

This is a new camper, so I wasn't expecting any problems in this area. Any thoughts?

gpshemi

Sounds like the valves are leaking. However, invest in a third vavle at the cap. The screw on kind work ok for me. Keeps your shoes clean. :cool:

danemayer

The extra twist-on gate valve at the end of the sewer line is a good idea even if you don't have a leak.

Take a look at your drain pipes. If there's any section that is lower than the outlet, water can collect there and remain after you dump the tanks. Then you drive a little and the motion causes the water to migrate toward the outlet. You uncap and "tada!" you get wet shoes.

If one of the valves is leaking, the dealer can replace it next time you go in for warranty work. If it is a gray tank leak, it's just inconvenient. If it's a black tank valve leak, it can cause you more significant problems with dumping the black tank. After it's fixed, put water in the tank and let it sit for 1/2 hour or so to test it before you leave the dealer.

B

BouseBill

I should maybe start a new thread but I'm now dealing with the same problem of one of the gray valves leaking, well leaking is not the correct word for it, it just won't hold any water at all. The dealership tried to adjust the gray #1 tank and thought it was fixed. We also bought a twist on aftermarket valve for the problem, but you know this is just one screwed up system.
How are these valves adjusted? At the tank end or the valve handle end in the UDC?

danemayer

I should maybe start a new thread but I'm now dealing with the same problem of one of the gray valves leaking, well leaking is not the correct word for it, it just won't hold any water at all. The dealership tried to adjust the gray #1 tank and thought it was fixed. We also bought a twist on aftermarket valve for the problem, but you know this is just one screwed up system.
How are these valves adjusted? At the tank end or the valve handle end in the UDC?

Hi BouseBill,

I believe you'll find the cable adjustment at the valve end.

If it won't hold any water, it may not be an adjustment, there may be something stuck in the valve.

I'm a little surprised that the dealership "thought if was fixed." If it won't hold any water, that seems kind of easy to see. If it's practical for you, I would make an appointment and take it back and instead of dropping it off, have them work on it while you're there, and then before you leave, demonstrate that it's working. That may not be the way they normally operate, but since they've screwed up, they ought to be open to doing things your way this time.

B

BouseBill

Dan I should have been more specific and clear. When we left the dealership the gray dump did in fact appeared to be working. I fear now it is something stuck in the valve because now there is a definite difference between the "feel" of tank 1 and tank 2. Tank 1 will not hold water at all.
and I take it to get to the valve end you have to drop the covering on the bottom of the rig?

B

BouseBill

I do have a flush king....sadly it did not work. Looks like another trip up to Vegas is in order....darn.
My apologies to gotlieb for hijacking his thread. I hope you resolved your problem anyway?

danemayer

Dan I should have been more specific and clear. When we left the dealership the gray dump did in fact appeared to be working. I fear now it is something stuck in the valve because now there is a definite difference between the "feel" of tank 1 and tank 2. Tank 1 will not hold water at all.
and I take it to get to the valve end you have to drop the covering on the bottom of the rig?

Yes, you get to the valve by dropping the underbelly cover. Sounds like the tech may have to take the valve apart to retrieve whatever's stuck in there.