Refinished my BH 3400RE with ZEP...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well we finished refinishing the Bighorn and it looks great. Thanks to Ken & Kathy (KaKamper). My SIL and I took the information that was referred to on this forum and RV.net .

Here are some photos of before and after. There is a lot of difference but it is hard to get a photo that actually shows the way it shines now.

Trailer after cleaning with Bar Keeper's Friend.
Back of Trailer cleaned.jpg Rear of trailer with graphics cleaned off.jpg

After we put the finish on it shines like a new penny.
DSC_2928.jpg DSC_2929M.jpg

This is the products I used.
I used Bar Keeper's Friend which I forgot to include in the photo.
Cleaning products.jpg

We used regular sponges to clean off the finish and any other things on the exterior.
I used a razor blade to takeoff the labels that were placed on the trailer by the dealer and Heartland.
We used the TSP to clean off the surface after the Bar Keeper's Friend. This worked real well. Only had to go over the trailer one time.
We used small sponges with microfibre cloth on the outside to add the ZEP finsh. We had a strong wind and the ZEP dried quite quickly. We started on one end and by the time we finished the entire end or side the finish was dry enough to start another coat.

Probably one cup of the TSP with 2/3's of a 5 gallon can of water. We used about 1/3 of a gallon of the ZEP and wiped on about 5 or 6 coats. We just sprayed the spunges with the ZEP and wiped it on. You just go over the surface like you were wiping dust off the trailer. One caution. Be sure to clean all surfaces you plan to put the finish on. I forgot to clean the lower part under the back cap and got black on the finish as I wiped back up the back. I took the BKF and took the black streaks off but it took a good bit to remove the black streak.

I am really pleased with the finish. I hope it lasts a long time. I remember that a lot of floor waxes we used in the past would yellow after time. I hope this will not.

If you have any questions please let me know.

BC

Attachments

• DSC_2915.jpg
    DSC_2915.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 344

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
That turned out great... with those new wheels (really sharp) and tires, looks like you bought a new rig !
Was fun watching you and Mike work.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
That turned out great... with those new wheels (really sharp) and tires, looks like you bought a new rig !
Was fun watching you and Mike work.

THanks Bret.. I am really happy with the results. The trailer is much nicer and I hope it last a good long time. Just curious how the front cap will hold up under the barriage of bugs going down the highway.

BC

BTW.. Bret give me a call and come by this weekend.. Maybe we can have lunch and BS..

mobilcastle

I think it looks great! This is the same thing I want to do with mine in the spring-ran out of time this year. Keep us posted on the way it holds up. On RV.net there is a super long thread on this also for anyone who wants to read more.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Looks great Bob! Don't worry it will not yellow...remember, if it starts to dull a little, just wash with Dawn and add another coat or two...do NOT wax it!!!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
That looks fantastic. It looks like it brand new. Question - how long did it take you?

boatdoc

I did the front cap only on our '09, bought Dec '07, 3670BH two years ago this month and it still looks like the day I put it on. It's tons of work, the prep work, but the product goes on easy. Very, very light coats and you won't believe your eyes. Only problem is, when you step back to admire your work you see another 40' of trailer to do!!! Google up " Red Max Pro" and you'll find threads on it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bob, it looks great. I have the wax already....just need to do it. BTW, I had lay on my side to see pix #6. LOL

TXBobcat

Fulltime
That looks fantastic. It looks like it brand new. Question - how long did it take you?

We cleand the entire trailer with the Bar Keep's Friend which took all day. This took off all the finish, black streeks, and I removed the labels that were put on by the dealer and the one on the rear cap by Heartland.

The next day we cleaned the entire trailer with TSP, which worked real well and started to put ZEP on.

The next day we put on the last bit of ZEP.

There were two of us. The hardest part was the cleaning with Bar Keep's Friend. Waxing was easy. Don't get in a hurry and put on thin coats. As I said to do the entire trailer it took about a thrid of the gallon of ZEP. Two cans of Bar Keep's Friend and about a cup of TSP.

BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I did the front cap only on our '09, bought Dec '07, 3670BH two years ago this month and it still looks like the day I put it on. It's tons of work, the prep work, but the product goes on easy. Very, very light coats and you won't believe your eyes. Only problem is, when you step back to admire your work you see another 40' of trailer to do!!! Google up " Red Max Pro" and you'll find threads on it.

I agree with you, only problem is I did not find RED MAX PRO on ZEP's website, at Lowe's or anywhere else. Lowe does have the same thing as RED MAX PRO with the one I show above.

The cleaning is the most difficult but not so hard to get concerned about. My SIL was on a ladder doing the upper half while I was on the ground dowing the lower half. One bit of advice. If you wear glasses use an old pair or some goggles. I got spots on my new glasses and may not be able to get them completely cleaned.

BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Update: Refinished my BH 3400RE with ZEP...

I am in San Marcos and I washed my trailer this evening before starting to Montgomery TX tomorrow. I refinished my trailer in December of last year. This is the first trip I have taken since the refinish. For those that have not done so I am here to tell you that this is a great thing so far.

When I arrived at San Marcos TX I had made a good collection of bugs on the front cap. When I went to wash the trailer I started on the front cap and it was the easiest time I have ever had cleaning the cap. Bugs came off with a good washing. No scrubbing except in one or two small places. Dirt does not seem to collect on it very bad. I took some Dawn in a bucket and a brush on a pole and washed the rest of the trailer in no time.

If I were to go back a couple of years I would finish out my trailer with the ZEP. It seals the graphics and the front is so easy to clean it is impressive. It shines like a new penny...

Now how it will look in two or more years I don't know, but there is no way I will let anyone wax or wash my trailer again.

Thanks KaKamper for starting the thread here on the Heartland Forum...

FWIW
BC

Ndrhsr

I purchased a 2011 Big Country in Aug. of this yr. the end caps were dull & in need of help. I found this link before I joined the forum & did the ZEP process. Thanks for the great info. My 3250TS looks like new. & I'm vey happy with the results. This forum is a source of a lot of good info. Thanks again.

GOTTOYS

I had my front cap painted on my grey Big Country because it was fading and turning white. A year later my rear cap started to do the same thing. Rather than painting it I did the Barkeepers Friend, Zep thing. It was a bit of work but the results were terrific. I wish had done the front the same way. Mine was starting to dull out a little by late Fall but I'm sure a quick wash and a couple more coats will bring it right back...Don

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I also am glad I use ZEP on my trailer. I have washed it a few times and it needs one now, but the shine is still good. I just use Dawn in the wash water and it works good.. BC

phix

This is great news. Thanks to all for sharing. My 2012 BH3610 is starting to dull. It will take awhile, but this spring/summer the project begins.

Now I am wondering if the process would also benefit the shower and glass doors?