Diesel auxiliary tank 2012 F350

BooBear

About to finally decide on a RDS model 71804, 32 gallon. This F350 crew cab, SB, has restrictive clearances between bed/Reese mount and from side to side (54" to where walls start rising). Definitely open to advice and opinions as to brand and just auxiliary in general. A particular concern is cutting the filler tube TEE. There's not room for the valve to be vertical, so it'll only be slightly above 90 degrees horizontal. The tanks with pumps cost a fortune.

The low profile of this tank would help in carrying our kayaks. We also use a bed extender for this truck. LB DWD was handy but turning radius was terrible.

jnbhobe

I put in an RDS tool box combo tank and used the wide one. I had to cut off the left tie down tab but used the right and center tabs. My truck is a long bed but I was able to put the tee in upright like the instructions say. I used the 60 gal. tank and box combo.

scottyb

I used the 60 gal L-shaped that fit under a low profile Rawson-Koenig tool box. I was very happy with it but now want to go with the Titan for the simplicity. However, simplicity comes at a cost.

Sandpirate69

I've been looking at the Titan also. I had a TransferFlo on my last truck & it was great. The good thing about the Titan is that its made of the same material as the stock tank and its lighter than the TranferFlo. Price about the same, but you can get up to 62 gls from the Titan vs. 54 on TransferFlo

jnbhobe

Thats close to what I use but in 60 gallon, I also control the flow with a soloniod hooked to an upfitter switch

Rrloren

I have the RDS 37 gal. and use gravity flow to feed the oem tank. It works well but be aware the tanks don't hold what their rated at, mine only holds 33 gal. w/o dripping a little fuel if parked on a slight angle.

hoefler

I have a 75 gallon "L" shaped tank under my tool box. It has a draw straw and a high volume/low pressure fuel pump to transfer fuel on demand. Works very well and this is the 3rd truck this setup has been in. Gravity flow is illegal in most states, if there is no automatic shut off when the vehicle is shut off.

jnbhobe

I use a 12V solonoid hooked to an upfitter switch, it closes when the truck is shut off. I also have a manual shut off.

BooBear

Here's what I have. Great price, great tool storage, separate area for fuel filler, locks at the lid and the cap, and still leaves plenty of room for my Reese/Ford hitch. My Ford dealer actually bought it at my request and then installed it for me with a gravity flow. Make sure you put a ball valve in the gravity fill line in case you need to to turn off the fuel.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200370679_200370679

See the critical thing is that I have a Short Bed F350. That means that from the rearmost rib of the front bed wall to the start of my hitch mount is 21.5". Then if you go all the way even with the bed rails you have to subtract another 1.5" for the front lip at the top (They don't notch the tanks) = net tank width of 20". If you net 20" then you miss the small space for your fuel line that is adjacent to the bed wall (have to use elbow and come out the "back" of the tank). The floor starts sloping at 54" so you can't use a full width tank without raising it up off the floor which, of course, would then mean you'd have to use a much lower tank. The new bed is a hassle.

BooBear

I have a 75 gallon "L" shaped tank under my tool box. It has a draw straw and a high volume/low pressure fuel pump to transfer fuel on demand. Works very well and this is the 3rd truck this setup has been in. Gravity flow is illegal in most states, if there is no automatic shut off when the vehicle is shut off.

Was this pump something you purchased separately? Where? I asked the same of the fellow re the solenoid. Thanks. Tom

hoefler

I bought the fuel pump at the local parts store, it is a Carter pump, don't remember the part #, but it will flow 35 gallon an hour if memory serves me right. All the plumbing parts to hook it up cost less than $150, and I have a way to watch the fuel level though the rear window and strain and filter the fuel as it is transferred.