Kitchen island/ rear 1/2 bath GFI

Mizmary

Okay. Here's a new one:

In our 4100 king--

All outlets work except two. The rear 1/2 bath gfi won't reset/switch. The ONLY plug (other than the 1/2 bath) that seems to be affected is in the kitchen - next to the sink on the interior part of the island. EVERYTHING else works. The garage plugs, basement, living room, loft, the subwoofer has power. We haven't found anything that doesn't work yet other than those two.

Is there a junction box somewhere between the two? I'm a bit paranoid we are going to burn down now. Is it possible the gfi is just bad? RamD looked at it and he's not an idiot when it comes to electrical but any advice before we end up calling heartland and getting a mobile RV repair tech out here?

Mizmary

There is a slide out near- but neither receptacle is in the slide. The receptacles in the kitchen slide and the fridge still work.

Mizmary

I would check for loose wires on the backside of the GFCI outlet.

Did that. Everything seems fine connection-wise. So either there is something on the side of the junction box only going to those two outlets or the gfci outlet is bad is my guess?

danemayer

If 1) you can measure voltage coming into the GFCI outlet, and 2) the wiring looks ok, and 3) there is no voltage coming out of it, I would say the outlet is bad.

A $20 non-contact voltage tester could confirm which wires are carrying voltage and which are not.

caissiel

Usually an outside plug is on the same line. Might have a wet connection. Just happened to us this week.

Sent from my U8666-51 using Tapatalk 2

Mizmary

We fixed the issue.

The wires going into the gfi were only making partial contact in the receptacle because the wires weren't stripped back far enough. RamD stripped the wires back more, then wrapped the wires around instead of just sliding them in for better connection.

Thanks for all of your input!!! This one is solved.

Nitehawk79

MizMary

I just had a similar problem, lost four outlets. Ended up being the receptacle in the compartment with the mini fridge. Also found there are no junction boxes on the AC they just string them together. I have a 2014 4100. I removed the receptacle and replaced it with a regular household outlet.

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mizmary

RamDually (my husband) replaced it with a regular household GFI plug as well.

I'm just glad that we weren't in any danger. Our kids sleep back there! He got it fixed, only got shocked once because I flipped the wrong breaker. He even had an audience- LaDiver is down here and got to "help" by providing moral support. Ha.

We are happy campers again. Celebrated with a campfire and s'mores made with dark chocolate and sea salt caramel ghiradelli squares instead of the normal Hershey's.

Ladiver

Glad I could "help". Thank you very much for introducing Sonja to your S'mores. A true glamping recipe.

TXTiger

Mzmary and Ladiver what spaces are you guys in? I may just ride down to the KOA later today to say hello.

Mizmary

Ha! Good to meet you this morning.

FYI the storage here is pretty good. It would have to be another client to break in. They watch this place like hawks!