Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Comic Relief

1. Print this Post   #1

Comic Relief Needed

Just had a comical back and forth with Mizmary on another thread and I came to thinking I haven't seen a thread for funny stories. Please share your experiences either personal or observed while RV'ing. Kind of like Readers digest has funny sections about school, work, military service. What have you witnessed or done that made you say "what was I/they thinking."

Common examples, like a sewer hose dragging, or watching your trailer pass you down a hill. Everyone has at least one I bet.
    Last edited by priorguy; 09-05-2013 at 07:00 PM.
    Dan & Nina McGuire plus the happiest campers Darcy (6) Liam (2)
    2011 Ford F150 XTR 5.0L S.CREW 4X4 3:73 gears factory brake controller and backup camera
    2011 North Trail 28 BRS Caliber Edition - Happy Happy
    2006 Fun Finder X240 (traded)
    2003 Coleman Sunvalley (sold)
    1989 Bonair 850 (traded)

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Comic Relief Needed

Good idea! Next time someone drives past dragging their sewer hose I'll make sure to snap a picture!

3. Print this Post   #3

And every time you see duct tape on an RV, ask the owner for the story behind it. Hopefully they're good natured about it and can admit to their mistake. The two best movie examples have to the THE RV with Robing Williams and National Lampoons Vacation with Chevy Chase. Who can forget "The Family Truckster."
    2011 Ford F150 XTR 5.0L S.CREW 4X4 3:73 gears factory brake controller and backup camera
    1989 Bonair 850 (traded)

4. Print this Post   #4

Akways make sure the sewer valves are closed before you take the cap off the drain plug to dump.. my GF said it reminded her of the movie RV when I was blasted with sewage in front of other pssser bys..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

5. Print this Post   #5

Never take the tongue off the ball on a hill before chalking the wheels. Not so bad with a tent trailer, but possibly deadly with a travel trailer. This thread could turn into a "must read" for any newbies out there. A little bit of "Don't Do What Donny Don't Does."
    1989 Bonair 850 (traded)

6. Print this Post   #6

Totally not rv related- but you should also NOT attempt to drive the motorcycle onto the trailer unless it is attached to a vehicle.

7. Print this Post   #7

If you have a trailer with the UDC make sure that the water selector valve is in the correct position. When I was doing the PDI on my trailer the person showing me how to do everything made a mistake, I would never make that mistake, on the selector valve position. Could cause the black tank to over flow through the toilet. Thank goodness for the water alarms I put in the trailer.
    Don
    08 Ford F350 SRW
    13 Big Horn 3055RL
    1 wife 1 dog and me

8. Print this Post   #8

Comic Relief

In the old days and the kids were young we did a lot of camping in a pop up with my brother in law, sister in law and their 2 children. We would leave when we all got off work and arrive at the campsites after dark. This one night it had been raining so we were in a hurry to get set up and go to bed. The in laws but their kids to sleep, got undress for bed. They climbed into bed and rolled out back onto the ground in their underwear. They had forgot to put the support bars under their bed. We laughed for days and still tell that story 35 years later!

9. Print this Post   #9
    Moved on to the next thing... JohnD's Avatar

Re: Comic Relief . . . DOH!

Our previous trailer, a 1978 Coachman Cadet 24 footer, was a piece of krap, but we sure had a lot of fun with it for the last 12 years!

Nothing worked in it, except the stove, furnace and electricity.

And we couldn't use the furnace as the fan squealed so loud that it woke up the whole campground!

That tanks were all busted up . . . so couldn't use the tub or toilet!

We used the tub/shower as a place to keep the coolers since the fridge would kick off the circuit breakers . . . and I never even thought to try to see if it would run off of the LP gas!

And the trailer brakes . . . they would work while driving uphill, or when you really didn't need them to work.

But coming down the mountains (we live in Colorado), they would ALWAYS short out . . . and no brakes!

Yikes!

I had it (the trailer) rewired several times, but it would always blow out the wiring thingy on my truck, and then the outside trailer lights, including the brake and turn signals, would work all goofy, and nobody could figure it out why it kept doing this!!!!!

Anyway, a few years back on our way to Taos, New Mexico, our friends that were following us alerted me (I have a pair of Uniden 2-ways) that the lights went out (again) on the trailer, so we pulled over to get them working.

I went into the trailer to get my volt meter and other tools . . . we pretended to know what we were doing and actually did get the lights working again . . . I put the tools back inside and away we went.

A few minutes later, a call on the 2-way from behind telling me that they just saw glass flying from the side of the trailer!

DOH!

Well, as I mentioned earlier, this was an old 1978 trailer, and it had seen it's better days long before we bought it.

A previous owner had caught the door step on something and ripped the step completely off, which had actually broken the door frame, and the door would stick, which meant you had to slam it real hard to get it closed all the way.

When I would level the trailer, I set that corner of the trailer a little high as it would relieve the pressure on the door frame so the door would open and close normally.

Apparently, I hadn't slammed it hard enough before we took off, and it flew open while on the road and smashed the glass door window.

It was raining, so I had to put a garbage bag over the door to cover the broken-out window for the rest of the drive, and I spent most of the next day (Saturday of a holiday weekend) driving around Taos looking for a glass shop.

I ended up putting plexiglass in the window from the Taos Ace Hardware!

I have a few more horror stories with that old trailer . . . I'll save those for another rainy day!

Here is the old beast at the Sand Dunes National Monument in southern Colorado:

SandDunesCampsite-P8167070.jpg

10. Print this Post   #10

Re: Comic Relief . . . DOH!

Remember to untie the clothes line that was strung between the tree and the rear ladder - BEFORE you pull away from the campground.

Brian
    Tow: 2008 F350 6.4L King Ranch Crew 4x4 SRW, H&S Tuner, AFE 4" Exhaust DPF delete, Ride-Rite, 51 gal underbed Titan tank SOLD
    Towed: 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon SOLD

Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470, 400ISL Cummins
    Toad: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd (yes, it has a Hemi)

Where I have RV'd

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast