Winegard Trav'ler installation-

pjaylor

<p>
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. We just purchased a Big Horn 3570rs at the Tampa RV show. We have a Winegard Trav'ler on our Elkridge that we plan on transferring to our new rig. The Big Horn is pre-wired for the Trav'ler. The challenge we have is that there are two signal wires coming in to the unit and we have a DVR for the living room and non-dvr in the bedroom. After research on the internet I discovered that we can purchase a SWM8 that will make it possible to have just one line going in to the DVR. I'm not familiar with the SWM8. I have found some online. Camping world has the entire kit for $199.00, or I can buy the parts individually on Amazon for less than $55. They appear to be the same. Any advice on buying or installing these things? Thanks in advance! Pat ps. I'm also going to post this in the general satellite section.</p>

Garypowell

I made the conversion a couple of months ago and from what I saw and experienced everyone was selling the same parts from Directv. I decided to buy from www.weaknees.com. Their price was in the middle of what I found, they seemed to know what they were talking about, and they answered their phone every time I called.

While Amazon is great for some things if I think I am going to need some technical support....which I did.....I go with someone who will answer there phone.

For or example I used second day air since I was on a trip. UPS messed up and with just a phone call my extra shipping charges were credited back to my card.

danemayer

Hi pjaylor,

If your Winegard Traveler is an SK-SWM3 model, and you have a SWM compatible DVR, it should only need 1 coax line to the DVR.

The SK-SWM3 comes with a 4-way splitter so you can send signal down both rooftop coax lines to the UDC, and jumper the connections to the living room and bedroom. It's probably also possible to connect one line to the UDC and put the splitter there.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You really might not need the SWM8.
What receiver models do you have?
In order to use a SWM8, you must have a SWM compatible receiver.
And if you have a SWM compatible receiver you will only need to change your LNB, assuming that you do not have a SWM LNB and you have a slimline dish, add a power inserter and a splitter.
A SWM compatible receiver will only require one input coax.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

pjaylor,

Congrats on your BH purchase and thank you! If you can answer Dave's (cookie) questions, you'll end up getting all the answers you'll need from Dave and others.

If you end up needing the SWM8, shop on eBay (search results link). I got the kit for about $60 a year ago. If you need to install the SWM8, you may want to install it on the roof as it requires all 4 coax outputs from the dish (if I recall correctly). Then a single coax from the SWM8 into the coach (you can use the one prewired to the roof).