ATF: Cyclone - No Auto leveling - big mistake?

MaryWyatt

We are going to pick up our Cyclone 5th Wheel 4000 in 2 weeks. We let the dealer talk us out of the auto leveling. After going to the RV show and doing more reading, I'm very worried that this is a mistake. We've never had an RV before. This purchase has been very stressful with dealers slamming each other and recommending different things. I don't know what to think. Is not getting the auto levelers a big mistake? I'm not sure what to do or who to believe.
Thanks, Mary

danemayer

Hi MaryWyatt,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. This is a great place to get questions answered by a great bunch of friendly and helpful people. And their advice is based on actual experience with the products.

To answer your question, I think it's safe to say that anyone who has auto leveling is probably going to tell you they would never buy another trailer without it. Dealers will sometimes try to keep price low by stocking trailers that don't have expensive options. Then they will try to sell you on what they have.

However, you can order the RV with whatever options you want. There may be options that a local sales person may not even know are available. For example, you can upgrade the tires to Goodyear G614 which will provide you with a much stronger tire that has steel belts from bead to bead to help survive contact with curbs. They also are rated for higher maximum towing speed of 75mph vs 65mph.

You may also want to consider the Yeti/Canadian Arctic Package which adds heating pads to the holding tanks and heat tape to the main water line along with extra insulation, all of which may come in handy in Minnesota. Dual Pane windows are another option you might consider. Most people who have them would not go back to single pane.

Here's a link to the Cyclone MSRP Sheet. Of course these are the "List Prices." Everything is negotiable at the dealer.

alex00

We are going to pick up our Cyclone 5th Wheel 4000 in 2 weeks. We let the dealer talk us out of the auto leveling. After going to the RV show and doing more reading, I'm very worried that this is a mistake. We've never had an RV before. This purchase has been very stressful with dealers slamming each other and recommending different things. I don't know what to think. Is not getting the auto levelers a big mistake? I'm not sure what to do or who to believe.
Thanks, Mary

I personally had the level up as my deal breaker when looking for a trailer. I would not buy without it. I'm guessing if the dealer talked you out of it, it was because the trailer they stocked didn't have it. The dealer, who's sole motivation is profit, is the last person to believe when it comes to options that are right for you. You can always ask the dealer if they will order you a trailer with level up and any other options this one was missing.

If you are locked into the trailer, make the most of it. Many people don't have level up, and love the trailer. The rest of the trailer is exactly the same as one without level up, so once you are set-up, who cares if it took a few more minutes? You're still camping in a great rig.

scottyb

Mary, our 4100 does not have it because we bought a stock unit instead of ordering. I want it now, mostly because I don't have it, along with dual pane windows and a 3rd AC. With that said, I've only had to level it side to side twice and they were both at the same venue a year apart. Every RV site I have stayed was level S2S and F2B is never an issue.

MTPockets

We ordered our Big Horn without the levelup as we felt it was too expensive for what we needed. We've never had an issue with leveling on any of our prior units and after 2 1/2 years with this unit, I can level when needed side to side with no problem. If I had the level up I would probably like it, but don't regret being without.... One less thing to go wrong.

vakthund

Is not getting the auto levelers a big mistake?
In one word - No!
We have level-up on our 3800 and we like it. We could certainly live without it and I'd argue we are probably not saving more than 10 minutes on setup (two of those minutes are spent lowering the rear electric jacks.) Observing my friends; with two people, one in the vehicle and one putting boards or blocks down, it is a quick process. In our group of campers it is split 50/50 and we pretty much are done setting up at the same time.

scottyb

Scott, We were told that you can't run 3 air conditions is that also not true? Mary

That's correct, as far as the way it comes from the factory. However, that is just a failsafe measure to prevent someone from running all 3 on generator power. There are already discussions about alterations for changing the factory's wiring, in order to have operator's choice. All 3 could be ran on 50A shore power + it would be nice to have the choice of which two to run at other times.

ILH

I don't have auto leveling on my current rig and setup is not difficult - mostly because I tend to stay at premium campgrounds. Even so I always carry a couple of planks in my truck.

Despite saying the above, my next rig WILL DEFINITELY have the leveling package.

caissiel

Level up is a make shift design by the high end manufacturers like MS and Teton that imitates the MH system. The MH sysyem has been properly designed from the start. They are jacks that are backed up by the wheels on 4 corners. And they are separated from the slide system.

The trailer level up is a problem waiting to happen. The design is flawed and unsafe. For one, the front has no backup from dropping down on the truck or any one around or under. I worked on hydraulic equipment for over 30 years and no way we trusted a hydraulic cylinder for any purpose.
Now I read about slides that are being pushed open due to .05$ o'rings failing. The next thing will be a trailer on its knees with slides closing by themselves.
The 2 way cylinders used, I would not put on my loader and it needs constant repairs.

No level up (standard) is both safe and very well proven for years and the dealers know the future problems level up faces.
I could write all night but I am glad I do not have it and worry about others that have it.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I agree with caissel , just another problem waiting to happen. One doesn't miss what one never had!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cjackg

Wow! I am starting to wish I had gone with my instincts and skipped the Auto Leveling on the 3110 we have on order!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! I am starting to wish I had gone with my instincts and skipped the Auto Leveling on the 3110 we have on order!
You will be very happy that you have it.
After nearly 4 years of having it, every time I use it I am still amazed at how quick we are set up.
After you use it a while come back and let us know how it is.

Peace
Dave

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Level up is a make shift design by the high end manufacturers like MS and Teton that imitates the MH system. The MH sysyem has been properly designed from the start. They are jacks that are backed up by the wheels on 4 corners. And they are separated from the slide system.

The trailer level up is a problem waiting to happen. The design is flawed and unsafe. For one, the front has no backup from dropping down on the truck or any one around or under. I worked on hydraulic equipment for over 30 years and no way we trusted a hydraulic cylinder for any purpose.
Now I read about slides that are being pushed open due to .05$ o'rings failing. The next thing will be a trailer on its knees with slides closing by themselves.
The 2 way cylinders used, I would not put on my loader and it needs constant repairs.

No level up (standard) is both safe and very well proven for years and the dealers know the future problems level up faces.
I could write all night but I am glad I do not have it and worry about others that have it.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

I beg to differ...we've had Level Up since 2009 and we've NOT had one single issue....it is very reliable and does exactly what it is designed to do!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Aftermarket all electric Ground Control System could be added with self install if you decided you wanted a leveling system. We are very happy with ours (note, it's a 4 pt system and no auto level feature, but does make setup/hitch up much faster!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cjackg

You will be very happy that you have it.
After nearly 4 years of having it, every time I use it I am still amazed at how quick we are set up.
After you use it a while come back and let us know how it is.
Peace
Dave
After using the 6-point LevelUp system on our 3110 for a few trips we are sure glad we ordered it. I have only used the automatic leveling a few times and find it works best when the trailer is almost level to start with. but having the 6 hydraulic jacks and the manual mode is something I would not want to be without. The manual mode can be used for a lot of situations ranging from changing a tire to doing some leveling while the trailer is still connected to the truck. You still need some blocks occasionally but setup time is really reduced by using the Levelers.
I guess there are risks with all these interconnected hydraulics but really haven't heard of many failures.

dbbls59

WOW! Those that have it like it, those without it don't want it. To each his own. I didn't have it and wished I did, I now have it and I'm glad I do. I haven't had it long and don't know how well it will hold up but I sure like it now.