Landmark - 2nd Slide Awning Switch

DHill57

Our 2013 Landmark Mesa has an awning over the entertainment center on the door side slide that is controlled by a rocker switch inside the entertainment center. I want to be able to retract the awning from inside the unit for those late night unexpected storms. I checked with Lippert about making a change so it would work with our Linc remote but it seems that will be quite difficult (not impossible). A simple solution might be to simply add a second rocker switch in the cupboard behind the entertainment system under the kitchen table. I know that I can get a rocker switch from Dometic. Can anyone help with how this would need to be wired? I have complete and easy access to all the wires from the rocker switch that currently controls the awning.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I am in process of installing a second slide awning switch inside the cabinet behind the inside cabinet door. I have not completed the project as it is not as easy and simple as I thought I anticipated. After some research and electrical engineering I have a solution, which involves more than adding another switch. After I finish the installation, I will post instructions with pictures and wiring diagrams. I anticipate to make the post in two or three days.

I also move your post to a better thread area.

Last edited:

Terry H

Staff member
I finished the installation of a second switch slide awning switch in my Landmark. My guess is the install will take about 4 or 5 hours. It took me a lot longer to design and complete the installation. See attachment for instructions and photos.

Attachments

• Awning Switch Upgrade.pdf
    417.2 KB · Views: 62

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Looks good Terry. Thanks!
Looks like another project to add to the list.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
Terry, did you forget I figured this out several years ago? Should be in my mod section.

Since the awnings are just DC motors, they are operated out and back in by simply reversing the polarity.

The reason just adding a 2nd switch doesn't work is because the motor terminals are shorted when the switch is in the neutral position.

Shorting the terminals act as a brake to keep the awning from unrolling as you travel down the road.

So, when you just extend the wires to an additional switch and activate that switch you pop a fuse because you are now completing a circuit short to ground.

My fix was to add a DPDT switch next to the main awning switch. Up is inside, down is the basement switch. I used a "slide switch" I picked up in Goshen in the basement.

porthole

Retired
I'm using my phone now as it easier to left thumb type.
I'm guessing with your relays you can operate either switch at any time with no extra user input.

With my version I have to choose which switch I want.

99% of the time I am using the outside control. So the switch selector (DPDT) is next to the inside switch.

Makes it easy enough to roll in the awning in the middle of the night when the wind picks up.

DHill57

I finished the installation of a second switch slide awning switch in my Landmark. My guess is the install will take about 4 or 5 hours. It took me a lot longer to design and complete the installation. See attachment for instructions and photos.

Many thanks for the solution and the detailed documentation. I will pick up the parts and do the upgrade this week.

Terry H

Staff member
I'm guessing with your relays you can operate either switch at any time with no extra user input.

Duane,

Yes, you can operate either switch at any time. I wanted it process automatic. So if DW needs to operate the awning she does not need to remember the switch combination.

porthole

Retired
Thats a good plan. Even though Deb knows all about the switch, she and Calvin Hicks went crazy trying to get the awning in at one of the rallys while I was away.