New Trailair Flex-Air Pin Box

dieseldogsdad

Does anyone have any experience with the new Flex-Air pin box? I was just about to order a new Trailair Tri-Glide and I decided to contact Lippert and Heartland with my VIN to verify that my box is a 1621HD. Lippert responded "The Trail Air Tri-glide is no longer available and the replacement is the Flex Air part number 328492. This would be the replacement for the 1621 you have in your trailer." I can still get the Trailair Tri-Glide online so I
asked the Lippert rep which would be better and his response was "I would go with the Flex Air since it has less moving parts." I like the idea of the Tri-glide having both the air bag and the rollers. The Flex-Air uses the air bag and the Rota-Flex pivoting head. My guess is there will be less maintenance with the Flex-Air, but will it help with chucking as much as the Tri-Glide? Does anyone have the Rota-Flex pin box on there coach? If so are you happy with it? Does it help with chucking? By the way the Flex-Air is about $400 cheaper than the Tri-Glide. Here is a picture of the new Flex-Air.
51LeTVp0KAL._SL1000_.jpg

jnbhobe

Tri-glide ride quality is good, Maintenance is extreme, and I do good maintenance. There was a lot of wear in the rollers and mine was replaced once under warranty and so were a lot of others on this forum, maybe thats why its discontinued.

Chippendale

Before you purchase, check the reviews on the Andersen Ultimate Connection 5th wheel hitch. http://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx

Be sure and scroll down and watch the videos. Reviews are also available on Amazon. I purchased mine from Tweety's.com and have only pulled with it for about 150 miles, but no chucking. It is installed on my existing rails. I am very pleased. Still have the basic pin box on my trailer.

dieseldogsdad

Good to know. The rollers were my main concern with maintenance. I will stay clear of the tri-glide. Perhaps I will give the Flex-air a try. I have been unable to find to many complaints about the rota-flex so the flex-air may be ok.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also had the Tri-Glide system and got rid of it. Yes lo of maintenance but also had some hard jerks with the tri-glide rollers with bridges, etc which really rocked the truck. We now have the Mor-ride system and like it much better.

dieseldogsdad

Well I just placed my order for the Flex-Air. Amazon price $937.48 with free shipping. About $400 less than the tri-glide. I will do a review of it in the spring after I get some seat time with it.

dieseldogsdad

My new Flex-Air arrived yesterday via tractor trailer. Had to meet the driver at a local truck stop because I don't think he could have turned around in my driveway. Loaded this thing from the tractor trailer to my truck and man is it heavy. It is about all that 2 guys want to lift and carry. I think I will have to hold it up with a bucket on a tractor to install it. That will have to wait though because temperature has been -10 to 18 degrees lately. I am glad I ordered when I did though took about 3 weeks to get it and price on Amazon has gone up to $1161 which is closer to what other places are selling it for. When I got it for $937 it must have been a mistake or something but I saved about $225. The next decent weekend we get I will install and let you know how that goes.

rayk4e

@dieseldogsdad : Have you had the opportunity to try the FlexAir yet? If so, what are your impressions? I'm torn between it, the Mor/Ryde, and Demco Glide Ride.

dieseldogsdad

I just installed it yesterday and drove it from my father in laws house to mine( only about 5 miles of back roads ). It seemed to pull really nice on that short trip. Hit some unavoidable potholes and the truck road rougher over them than the trailer. You can really see the trailer move but don't feel much in the cab. First big trip isn't planed until June but I think I will be satisfied. One thing to note is the kingpin sits about 2&1/2" lower so I will have to lower my companion from the top setting to the bottom one to bring the nose down. I will still have the same rail clearance. Could have made it another bolt hole higher but would have had to grind the front edge to get it up in there. I was able to let the air out to bring the back of the trailer up enough to start up the hill in my driveway without dragging the ladder.

dieseldogsdad

Just an update on the Trailair. After four trips with it and putting about 5,000 miles on it I must say I love it. However if your air pressure is not correct you will not enjoy this hitch very much. Mine rides nicely right around 70 psi. My first trip was about 66 psi but I now have more junk in the front of the trailer. All you really need to do is line up the arrows with the bottom of the shock cup but truck and trailer must be level and you must come to a gentle stop as to not roll the hitch head forward or backward which will give an inaccurate adjustment. I have found that after you find that sweet spot check the pressure and the next time you hook up just check to make sure the pressure is right and you are good to go. The bag does seem to loose pressure while sitting but the most I have had to add is about 8-10 psi after it has sat for a month. Most trips I am gone only 4 or 5 days and there is no need to add any air for your return home. Longer trips I would suggest you take a portable air tank or compressor with you I usually carry a full 11 gallon air take just in case. I did do a 2 week trip to the Keys and I probably added about 3-4 psi for my return. Trust me if you are 4 psi low you will feel the difference the first time you hit a bridge or pot hole. Once you get it dialed in though the ride is great.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Great to here. We only had a 20 mile trip on ours before we put into storage yesterday. We noticed a tremendous ride improvement and we didn't even get a chance to dial the pressure in.

Enjoy and and safe travels!!