Can we live year round in Milwaukee?

Hi folks. We are moving to Milwaukee this fall and want to know how practical it would be to live in our 2015 Cyclone 4100. It does not have the Polar or Canadian packages but has an enclosed bottom. The salesman (a real turd btw) claims it will be fine, but I talked to a Heartland service tech up there and he said I would be crazy. But look, lots of people live up north in RV's year round. I was looking for some anecdotal evidence either way.
Thanks a million

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well first of all there are no campgrounds in Milwaukee. Closest one might be 20 miles or so away.
State Fair Park has some camping but I don't know about long term nor do I think they are open in the winter.
You would certainly want to do some winter camping prep work such as an insulated skirt and take precautions to prevent exterior water lines from freezing.
I think I can be done as one member here spent winter is Wyoming or Montana. It just takes prep work.
Oh on edit, it gets cold up here, that's why we go to Texas in the winter.
BTW it was 46° yesterday morning.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi waylonsdad,

You might want to take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide for tips on how to keep the water systems running in extreme weather.

The enclosed underbelly will help some, but your furnace just won't pump enough warm air into the underbelly to keep it above freezing when ambient temps drop below zero.

Without tank heating pads, the biggest exposure you will have is tank contents freezing, causing damage. Frozen water lines, gate valves, and tanks will cause you significant inconvenience.

We've spent 5 winters in the Colorado mountains down to -30 (F). I have tank heaters, heat tape on all my water lines, and a foam-board mini-skirt with a heater under the critical plumbing areas to protect the gate valves. I like to wake up with running water and I don't like to find frozen gate valves when it's time to dump the tanks.

You'll need to arrange for an external propane tank rather than use your on-board tanks. A 125 gallon tank will do the job. A couple of good ceramic disc heaters will be handy inside to even out the interior heating. But you still need to run the furnace a lot to heat the underbelly.

pcardoza

We are outside of Boston. We stayed in our 4100 until December 1 last year. I cannot imagine going through the winter in it, without the cold weather package. You'll need a big propane budget and a bigger propane tank! I'd say to forget about it.

Hi folks. We are moving to Milwaukee this fall and want to know how practical it would be to live in our 2015 Cyclone 4100. It does not have the Polar or Canadian packages but has an enclosed bottom. The salesman (a real turd btw) claims it will be fine, but I talked to a Heartland service tech up there and he said I would be crazy. But look, lots of people live up north in RV's year round. I was looking for some anecdotal evidence either way.
Thanks a million

Hi. More or less what I expected. We were originally slated to go down south to Laredo, hence the 5th wheel, but that was changed in the 11th hour. Thanks for the responses and advice. Anyone looking for a slightly used big boy? Ha.
Jim