Bedroom Slide Separation (Landmark)

busted2341

I am wondering if there is a tolerance for ANY type of separation with the exterior flange or slide stop? (not sure what this piece might be called). I have attached pictures. Or would it be better to have this inspected. We are full timing so a dealer is out of the question at the moment. I DO NOT want water damage due to this separation. Please advise...Frank

Attachments

• 20151003_091538.jpg
    20151003_091538.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 20151003_091613.jpg
    20151003_091613.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 189

TxCowboy

Re: ATF: Landmark - Bedroom Slide Separation

Absolutely should not look like that. Call HL, have your VIN ready, and be prepared to send them some pics. Looks like the slide is out of adjustment and caused the separation.

Not sure a local dealer is going to be able to fix that. It looks pretty serious.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

When you send pics to Heartland it would be helpful to take a pic from a distance so the big picture is clear.
It may be that only the mount for the rubber seal is coming off.
The big question should be why did it happen.
It looks like there is silicon caulk there, did someone try to seal that?
I agree, there should be no separation.

Peace
Dave

busted2341

I should have turned the pics. All that caulking is straight from the factory. I just discovered that today. I will post several more pics on here in a while. Distance and close up. It sure does not look normal. Also your can see slack in the cable that goes out with the slide.....

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton

I just saw this exact same thing on my new Bighorn yesterday, screwed the metal Chanel that holds the rubber seal back in and re chalk, but with the slide is out their is slack in the cable I'm not understanding that.

busted2341

Pics posted now are a little clearer. I think I might have a problem. Hoping it's more cosmetic then real. our problem is we are living in this beautiful rig....30 days from retiring and getting on the road......that's all I need!...better now then 500 miles away I guess!....Heartland Help!

Attachments

• close up top.jpg
    close up top.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Upper Rear Corner Sep.jpg
    Upper Rear Corner Sep.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Looking up.jpg
    Looking up.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 168

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Frank, remember that a quick call to HL service can set you up with someone that can repair things under warranty. It does not have to be a HL dealer.

jbeletti

Pics posted now are a little clearer. I think I might have a problem. Hoping it's more cosmetic then real. our problem is we are living in this beautiful rig....30 days from retiring and getting on the road......that's all I need!...better now then 500 miles away I guess!....Heartland Help!

I could be wrong, but it looks like the D-seal has popped off it's track. It that's the case, I think this is a super-easy fix. If it's something else, I'm not sure what you are showing.

jbeletti

I am wondering if there is a tolerance for ANY type of separation with the exterior flange or slide stop? (not sure what this piece might be called). I have attached pictures. Or would it be better to have this inspected. We are full timing so a dealer is out of the question at the moment. I DO NOT want water damage due to this separation. Please advise...Frank

These pics in fact, look like the D-seal track is not adequately fastened to the RV. Need to get fixed soon.

busted2341

Thanx Jim, but every time I have these "little" problems HL is good about quickly authorizing the repair but I still pay the trip fee!...So far because of these little problems I have paid $195 for trip fees..now another $65...Can I do it? I can tell the screw is pulled free so longer screws or...???????

Bob&Patty

If your able, get on a ladder, pull out the "D" seal and see if the screws have pulled loose. If so. I would get some longer stainless screws and install them. You might at the same time install a few more screws. I would also put some caulking around all the screws. Might save $70. JMHO

Last edited:

busted2341

Thanx....Bob...Spoke with Ron at Heartland and am sending some pics. Hope it's that simple!...

Bob&Patty

I had a few screws that were over tightened and screw head had broken off. I just drilled a small pilot hole near them and installed new screws.

busted2341

Ron at Heartland has been helpful in making sure I can find no problems inside. I found the z bracket is fine on the inside so it appears all outside pulling away.

Bob. By adding a few screws will it have the ability to pull it up tight or will it strip the next set of screws going in. Did you use the same size screws or a little bigger and longer.

Bones

Ron at Heartland has been helpful in making sure I can find no problems inside. I found the z bracket is fine on the inside so it appears all outside pulling away.

Bob. By adding a few screws will it have the ability to pull it up tight or will it strip the next set of screws going in. Did you use the same size screws or a little bigger and longer.
before screwing in the screws make sure you can push the channel back flush with the camper then put in your new screws if that is what your problem is.

MrRvGypsy

I had a few screws that were over tightened and screw head had broken off. I just drilled a small pilot hole near them and installed new screws.

X2 This happened on our unit on the drive home from the dealer. 3 screw heads had popped off due to over torquing. Dealer authorized me to simply drill new pilot holes and install new stainless screws and recaulk.

First of WAY TOO MANY significant manufacturing quality issues that arose in the first 6 month's that has soured our view of HL. Good thing I could fix 99% of them myself as going back to dealer for everything would have taken the unit out of service for much of the first year and thousands of dollars in time and fuel to haul it back and forth to dealer.

Last edited:

busted2341

Well I finally got the slide separation issue partially fixed. I finally called our regular RV repairman, Stage Coach RV in Floresville/San Antonio Texas area if anyone needs someone. Great guy and very up front and trustworthy. Anyway after trying to pull it tight myself, I was unable. I also asked him to inspect the inside bracket as requested by Heartland and sure enough, it's twisted and bent. He sent them pics so now we will see. That is why the cable is lose when all the way out I would assume. It's not stopping at the right place. This is the QC stuff that drives consumers crazy. We love the coach, but so far I have spent $200 in repair trip charges. I know I could take it to the dealer but what full timer can live in a hotel for 35 days until a dealer can "get to it"...Not reasonable. Now to get the other little stuff taken care of!...

TxCowboy

Frank, we're like you. We can't run back to the dealership every time something hiccups and we've already dropped a few hundred bucks on mobile techs. Still, Landmarks are some of the best RVs anywhere and we're thrilled to death with our Key West.

BTW, sent you a private message. :)

busted2341

Oh Ya....we love the landmark and get compliments on every day here in the park. The problems are some regular stuff for an RV but some has been QA. Not really complaining just venting a little. 6 more working days and retirement is here and so is the road!..

donr827

Oh Ya....we love the landmark and get compliments on every day here in the park. The problems are some regular stuff for an RV but some has been QA. Not really complaining just venting a little. 6 more working days and retirement is here and so is the road!..

That last week of work feels like 1 month. Enjoy your retirement and travel while you are young and spry.
Don