When does model year change?

randolu

We are planning on ordering a Newport and would love if it would fall in the change over and come in as a 2017. Does anyone know when the change over will happen?

brianlajoie

I believe Aril 1st is considered the start of the new year. However, new model year features do not always coincide with the start of the model year I have learned. You would want to confirm any new changes before you ordered. We didn't order our trailer, but when we bought our 2014 Bighorn on April 15th 2014, it was considered the prior year model. There were no real changes for the model we bought and we were able to use the new year as leverage in negotiating a better price. Best of luck on your new purchase.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You need to call HL and ask. Our 2007 (model year) BH was built in July of 2006. So go figure.

busted2341

Our 2016 LM 365 Ashland was ordered in February 2015 and delivered in May 2015...Shows to have completed build in March 2015 so go figure, our 2016 was built in the 3rd month of 2015...

RoadJunkie

Nobody, but nobody, knows the mystery of when model years change ; It simply just happens. You wake up one morning, and BAM...it's a new model year. Don't even get me started on the "half-year" model change! I don't think this helps, but it sure seems to be true.

randolu

Our 2016 LM 365 Ashland was ordered in February 2015 and delivered in May 2015...Shows to have completed build in March 2015 so go figure, our 2016 was built in the 3rd month of 2015...

Oh boy....it took that long from order to delivery? Did you get full-body paint? We are planning on ordering in February (the beginning) and need it by the 2nd week of April. Maybe we better rethink this :-/

Bones

Oh boy....it took that long from order to delivery? Did you get full-body paint? We are planning on ordering in February (the beginning) and need it by the 2nd week of April. Maybe we better rethink this :-/
I would think you just order it now that way you are not pressed for time and have time to go through it and not feel rushed

Mburtsvt

I would think you just order it now that way you are not pressed for time and have time to go through it and not feel rushed

I have seen when an RV is built on a special order and is not shipped for 1-2 months later. It gets into the delivery queue behind all the rest of the RV’s that need delivery. Retail RV delivery is still an industry choke point. Camping World is trying to address it with their own delivery drivers, (CWRV). It’s being reviewed with limited success so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds about right. This was during one of the biggest RV season in history. Too few drivers to deliver all of the product.

Last edited:

Bones

I have seen when an RV is built on a special order and is not shipped for 1-2 months later. It gets into the delivery queue behind all the rest of the RV’s that need delivery. Retail RV delivery is still an industry choke point. Camping World is trying to address it with their own delivery drivers, (CWRV). It’s being reviewed with limited success so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds about right. This was during one of the biggest RV season in history. Too few drivers to deliver all of the product.
I'll drive a few around here for some bucks

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We ordered our Key Largo February 2014 and when it was delivered in April 2014, it was labeled as a 2015. This has been the practice with Heartland in the past that the model year numbering usually changes in early spring (late February to March) but the modifications if any are displayed to the dealer in September at the dealer's open house at Elkhart.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Also, you don't want to pick it up the day you want to leave for a trip just in case there aree some issues that need to be addressed!

asherwin

Our 2013 was ordered in June 2012, built in July 2012 and delivered in Aug 2012. Then there were mid model year interior changes in the new year before the 2014's were introduced. Not sure if there is a "final" model year end date.