Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bighorn easy to break in

1. Print this Post   #1

Bighorn easy to break in

Hello everyone,
    First let me say that my Wife and I love our 3055.

Last Tuesday we went to pick up the Bighorn from storage to take to the dealer for another air conditioner, well I hitched up and my wife said there's a open window oh no yes we were robed the tv, stereo, all of our personal items, including my aftershave the got in through the side window cut the rubber seal and slid the latch open.....................

To day i drilled a small hole through the inside window frame and taped with 10-24 tap then using a 10-24x 1inch thump screw you can not slide the window.

There have been a lot of robberies in the area according to the police.

Be carefull

Lamontagne

2. Print this Post   #2
    Heartland: Director of Owners Interests jbeletti's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your break-in

If you get a chance, please add a picture of the security item you added. It may help others.

Thanks,

Jim

3. Print this Post   #3
    Past Alberta Chapter Leaders DougLynne's Avatar

That sucks big time.../Doug

Doug & Lynne
    Heartland Owners Club # 1102
    Bighorn 3160EL #FE296667
    2011 3500 Dodge Ram Cummins 4X4 SRW, NUVI 3597LMTHD! Pressure Pro Tire Monitor

4. Print this Post   #4
    SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist

Any RV is easy to break into...all you can do is discourage them...or slow 'em down. If they want in...they will get in.

5. Print this Post   #5

We had that happen on our last fiver they just broke the entry door window. they took everything exept what was under the bench seats. Even my favorite camping shoes and made a complete mess. I agree with Lefty if they want in they can get in. I feel for you because I know how mad I was. Half of the point of getting the BH is to minimize loading and unloading so we increased our insurance and are going to have to take a chance I guess. The BH looks alful good next to a lot of the other SOB's that makes me nervous. I wish I could cloak it to look like an inferior sob while it was in storage again sorry for your loss. If they could come up with an alarm system that takes very little power maybe. Any security tips would definately be a good thing to share.

Greg
    Greg and Shelly
    2008 BH 3400RL
    2002 Ford F350 Lariat 7.3 Diesel 4wd Srw
    Heartland owners club Member #1036

6. Print this Post   #6

[quote=lamontagne;41201]Hello everyone,
    First let me say that my Wife and I love our 3055.

Sorry to hear about your break-in............I see that you live in Henderson, NV...........why don't you attend our Nevada Rally Sept 26-28. So far 10 Heartland owners are planning the trip. I live in Sun City Anthem Henderson, NV.

Forrest
    Attached Files Attached Files

7. Print this Post   #7
    Heartland: Director of Owners Interests jbeletti's Avatar

Lamontagne,

Consider accepting Forrest's invitation to the LV rally. You can show us your mod

Greg,

A few on the forum have installed security systems. A thought would be to install a system with a couple of piercing sirens (inside and out). Have that system powered by it's own 12 VDC battery that is hidden and have a solar panel on the roof keep that battery charged for you. It may do nothing to deter a thief. Or it just may scare them off.

One of the forum members with an security/alarm system has a unit with a cellular module built into it. So it can notify the alarm monitoring system or you. If it called you, you could call the police right away and at least maybe catch the thieves. they likely hit multiple units at once so I'd guess they'd be there for a little while.

Jim

8. Print this Post   #8
    Unbelievably Blessed! htneighbors's Avatar

Lamontagne, I hate to hear that. Not much worse than some dirtball stealing your stuff. I feel your anguish. Last Dec 1st, I had about $10,000 worth of tools and software stolen out of a rental truck - while parked in my driveway, and the alarm was set! They broke the window on the driver's side back door. I was told afterward, that the alarm only works on the front windows. Dirtballs know this.

Security tip: Sell the stix & brix, go fulltime, maximize usage, no storage fees, leave German Shepherd when on short outings!

And...add the security system w/cellular notification.
    HT & Rene'e
    Back to Fulltiming while working!
    I STILL LOVE MY CYCLONE!!
    2005 Black German Shepherd, trained, 120 lb, 'Chopper'
    2009 Ford F450, 4x4, Crew Cab,
    2009 Cyclone 3950 #7933
    2002 Harley Davidson Road King Classic
    www.htneighbors.com
    www.SurviveEssentially.com

9. Print this Post   #9

Say, we're very sorry to hear about your break-in. In the past we stored our rig in open storage and to me it seemed a wonder that there was anything left after people got through with it. What the didn't take they tore up. I am fortunate at this time to be able to store our BH 3400RE inside under lock and key so we have little to worry about. It is expensive but to me the investment is worth the added expense. Good luck with the insurance claim.
    OP
    Time heals everything, so give time time

10. Print this Post   #10

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beletti View Post
    Lamontagne,

Consider accepting Forrest's invitation to the LV rally. You can show us your mod

Greg,

A few on the forum have installed security systems. A thought would be to install a system with a couple of piercing sirens (inside and out). Have that system powered by it's own 12 VDC battery that is hidden and have a solar panel on the roof keep that battery charged for you. It may do nothing to deter a thief. Or it just may scare them off.

One of the forum members with an security/alarm system has a unit with a cellular module built into it. So it can notify the alarm monitoring system or you. If it called you, you could call the police right away and at least maybe catch the thieves. they likely hit multiple units at once so I'd guess they'd be there for a little while.

Jim
    Thanks for the tip Jim
    Greg and Shelly
    2008 BH 3400RL
    2002 Ford F350 Lariat 7.3 Diesel 4wd Srw
    Heartland owners club Member #1036

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast