Anderson vs Pullrite

Lynn1130

And you understand this because?

Of the number of people who have switched and commented about the difference in ride. As I said, I have read through most everything I can find on the two including threads here and elsewhere. From my view, which is of course my view, just the number of moving parts in the standard hitch leaves room for rough ride and noise. I am sure that adding air ride, and whatever softens that up but how much more does one spend trying to find a softer ride? A $1000 hitch turns into $2500. And I don't pay much attention to feedback or testimonials on the vendor's sites. Most of that is questionable.

I do appreciate the feedback and while this seems to, like most threads, have taken a right turn from the topic even some of that is helpful in making a decision.

As mentioned earlier, my only issue with the two is the short warranty with the Anderson.

As to moving it around at the service department. They seem to do a good job tearing up my lube disk with their forklifts so I doubt that the different hitch is going to matter.

Garypowell

I just scheduled to have my wheel bearings repacked in February and ask my repair shop if he was prepared. He said sure....they just put a ball on their tractor. Did not get specific with him but my guess is it the same set up they use for TT's and just lift the fork up.

I do understand that anything made by man can be damaged by man........so we'll see.

Frankly the adapter would be easy enough to remove if need be.

CoveredWagon

Anderson 5th wheel gooseneck hitch

Does or has anyone had any issues or problems using an Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection - Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Adapter. Or do you like it. Seems like weight saving alternative. Guy at Teeetys says they been using them for several years. I also saw that Pullrite has a slightly different version of the same device now.

Thanks
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Re: Anderson 5th wheel gooseneck hitch

Does or has anyone had any issues or problems using an Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection - Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Adapter. Or do you like it. Seems like weight saving alternative. Guy at Teeetys says they been using them for several years. I also saw that Pullrite has a slightly different version of the same device now.

Thanks
Dave

[I have just over 6,000 miles on the Anderson from June of last year to present...never an issue, easy to hook up and remove for full use of the truck bed. I looked at both kinds and went with Anderson Ultimate 2 since it has three adjustment heights with just the pull of a pin for my short bed Ram. Not so on the other unit, which is adjusted on the pin box. Each has their own opinion but I am loving the Anderson hitch and would not trade it for a fifth wheel hitch. Good luck in your decision. ]

Lynn1130

I made up my mind and ordered the Anderson Ultimate. The price was right and the newer ones have a "funnel" added that makes hookup easier. I also ordered the safety chains so that there is no question when traveling through states that require them with goose necks. One of the selling points that I like is the cable release rather than the rod. No doubt I would misplace the rod at some point. Also with the Anderson there is no need to lube anything which is not the case with the other.

paulh

I've been using the Anderson original steel version for three years now and just love it. I don't remove it because the truck is only used when towing so with that said, I would go with the aluminum version if you need to remove it frequently. I have a buddy who hangs his on the wall of his garage in minutes. Also, in my opinion, the cable lock/release handle is easier to use on the Anderson without having to keep track of a small rod.

BigGuy82

And you understand this because? I do not see how the one type of fixed vs another fixed could effect ride. Unless you are factoring in bed flex creating a smoother ride with an Andersen hitch verses a rail or puck/frame mounted fixed hitch. Chris

This is a fairly long thread with lots of claims about how smooth the Anderson rides. I'm sure it's a fine setup, so I'm not arguing with anyone's point of view. I would like to hear from someone who has used both and get their take. When comparing, did you have any sort of enhanced pinbox on your standard hitch? What differences in handling/ride did you notice?

Fair notice: I'm totally happy with my Reese Elite and Flex Air pinbox. However, I'll be re-evaluating everything again when I move on to my next rig and this would be good info. I'm sure others would find comparisons helpful also. Several members have said how they love their Anderson but unless I missed it, I don't see anyone comparing to a standard hitch. :confused:

Lynn1130

I think that if you go to Amazon or some of the other sites selling these you can view the feedback and there are a few that compare it to their previous "standard" hitch. I think that I read most all of them over the last week or so and did not find one that did not like the difference if they had another hitch in the past. There are also a number of other threads here with some who have had both and their feedback. Since I have had two of the "standard" hitches in the past, I can give a comparison at some point down the road.

Which version, steel or aluminum?

Steel. I am not sure they make the aluminum in rail mount any longer. It is still only 40 lbs.

Rollin_Free

The steel version Andersen Ultimate is the only one they make that connects to rails or to a gooseneck ball. The aluminum version will only connect to a gooseneck ball.

http://www.andersenhitches.com/catalog/gooseneck-mount--ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx

I don't know why I didn't notice this earlier but the Pullrite hitch uses rails and doesn't have a turnover ball option. I am very curious why the Pullrite doesn't need chains. I wonder if it's because it uses the rails to connect to the truck. Probably more to come regarding the chains. Lots of new information in this recent thread.

http://www.pullrite.com/products

IMHO the most significant difference between 5th wheel hitches and the Andersen Ultimate is the feeling of a direct connection between the TV and the 5th wheel. The best way to describe the improvement is it really feels like an articulating type connection that basically has zero slop.

However to be on topic I need to have a clean bed when not towing and my Duramax doesn't have the puck system so the Andersen is definitely the best choice for my needs.

Last edited:

SNOKING

I think the whole chain issue is similar to Andersen in the beginning saying they are not required. Their hitch is a ball and coupler, and many states require safety chains for ball hitches. Actually I think that SD requires safety chains with standard 5th wheel hitches, maybe other states also.

If you have a GoPro cam, mount it on the side of the bed and record the hitch in action. Please post what you see. Chris

BigGuy82

Actually I think that SD requires safety chains with standard 5th wheel hitches, maybe other states also.

Well, if that's the case, looks like I'll be bypasing SD. In fact, I don't even have a clue how you would chain a fiver hitch.

Hippy

Ok guys, a little wake up call.
It's been a little over a month on this topic Anderson vs Pullrite.

Ordered a 2017 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie crew cab ( short bed ) with the towing puck ( gooseneck ) option.
I would like to buy the Anderson system.

My concerns, will I have issues with 88 degree turning radius with backing or tight u turn with the front cap of the 5vr hitting the cab of the truck.
Also will the Anderson work with Reese 5th airborne.

I have the 20k pullrite slider. Love it but getting tired of the off and onto the bed game.

Lynn1130

I have mine mounted in the "short bed" configuration and the funnel toward the front. With the assistance of the guys at the RV repair shop (I had it in for another issue) we backed it into a jack-knife situation to see how far I could go. They stood by the bed and I backed slowly. Even with the high bed rails of newer Chevy's I got to 90 degrees with no issue and probably could have gone more but I had the release pull mounted on the bottom of the electrical box and it would have hit the bed rail.

I am not sure if you model has the dual mount option but if so you should be fine.

Doublegranch

Hippy:

You should not have any problems...my 16 ram is a 3500 short bed and I can do almost a 90 turn...I say almost 90 turn as I have a bed cover and at 90 degrees, the rear of the pin box on the Sundance will start to scrape the bed cover rails. You can mount the anderson pin adapter either forward or towards the rear, I also have mine mounted forwards to give me an extra few inches. You will love the Anderson hitch! I have yet to find a negative with it.

Safe Travels and can't wait to see your new Ram! You are going to Love it!!!!!!!!

Garypowell

Hippy,

Go slowly when you put the Anderson in and test it. I have that configuration, Anderson with 5th airborne. The 5th airborne has a fairly deep body that is up and down. And there are lots of variables like do you have a cover with rails, what setting do you put the ball at, etc.

Took my first trip after installation and while I did not do any acrobatics I could tell I would never get to the 88 deg mark. But it seems all my hitches/pinbox combinations have that deep size so 88 deg has never been in the picture.

Speaking of pictures I have a bunch and plan soon to post them. Someone above said that they had the "short bed" configuration. One thing I learned after worrying about that term "short bed" I too was going to put the short end of the hitch towards the front. Got to talking to someone at my storage place and they said, "you don't have a short bed.....you have a standard bed (6.5 Feet).

I had always called it a short bed but after looking through all the documentation it is indeed called a standard bed. So I used the hitch in its "normal" position with the adapter the "normal" way.....and it works just fine. More later when I can get to it.

Doublegranch

According to Archie who manages the MFG of the Anderson hitch....the king plate adapter is designed for use with the funnel forward or towards the rear....I don't think there is really a "normal" way as it depends on your needs. Facing forward will give you a few more inches of space from the rv nose to the truck back window and hence will increase the degree of the turning radius.