Anderson vs Pullrite

Lynn1130

I have been researching the Anderson Ultimate here and on other sites and have read most of the threads here. What I could not find was much info on the Pullrite 2400 Superlite which looks to be as good as the Anderson and has a 5 year warranty as opposed to the one year of the Anderson. They are pretty close in price and weight ability and in the weight of the unit itself. So I now am trying to decide which would be the better buy. I am interested in feedback from those that have either and have used them for a time that would give some idea of their benefits.

I understand that both give a better ride that the standard hitch plus the fact that I am tired of having to install and remove the heavy standard hitch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynn1130

Thanks. I have viewed the videos for both and the Pullrite does look easier. I have pretty much read and viewed everything I could find on them but there is little available comparing them.

Aandaar

I run the Anderson. It was a bit of a pain in the beginning because you had to be right under the coupler.

Since then they have add a funnel to hitch coupler on the trailer similar to the Pullright.

Also they offered the upgrade for sold off units for 39.99. Since adding it I see no real difference between the two. Unless it is price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garypowell

Not sure you'll get much of a comparison since they are both so new. On a different thread I posted a picture of my new Andersen 5th pin adapter....it now comes with a polyethylene cone. I'll put one here too.

The picture was to help Etrailer and Andersen see that since they have added this red cone the eye bolt they are supplying is too short. Etrailer was not aware but Andersen was....and are shipping me new eye bolts as I type. This eye bolt is for the chains I purchased.

Right side up or upside down is probably a wash.....for me, most times, I'll go with the company that had the idea in the first place. I might get some mail on that one.....but I think the Andersen has been out for a couple of years and the pullrite not as long. But if Andersen came up with the idea they have a few more miles and innovations under their belt.

I also think I am going to like the remote locking level on the Andersen better than the Pullrite reach in stick.

But I don't think you can go wrong either way......how's that for a rock solid recommendation!

Attachments

• Connection block.jpg
    Connection block.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Hulk

I was on the fence also and decided to go with the Reese goose box. Final decision was they were the only guys lippert backed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

Thanks Gary. I was not aware of the funnel. That was one item that moved me toward the Pullrite.

212Pilot

I have the Anderson and love it. It is simple to hook up to and I have the cable handle positioned so I can confirm it is locked by a glance in the rearview mirror. I take it out to haul an ATV in the truck and it only takes a few minutes to remove or install. We recently were traveling between Vegas and St George Utah in very windy conditions and I felt very little sway in the truck. I have hooked up nearly sideways to the trailer and at very steep angles and it is a breeze with the funnel on the pintle block. The only draw back was we got a slight clunk when starting or stopping, but I called anderson and they told me how to shim the ball so it fit tight and that fixed the problem. I highly recommend the Anderson hitch. I bought it because the dealer told me it was the only gooseneck adapter type hitch that would not void the warrantee on the trailer. In my additional research I found other references to warrantee issues using a gooseneck adapter hitch but I don't know what heartland recommends.

BigGuy82

On both of these hitches, is it a problem because they aren't standard? For instance, if you drop it off at a dealer for service, can they move it around? Just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SNOKING

I understand that both give a better ride that the standard hitch

And you understand this because? I do not see how the one type of fixed vs another fixed could effect ride. Unless you are factoring in bed flex creating a smoother ride with an Andersen hitch verses a rail or puck/frame mounted fixed hitch. Chris

212Pilot

On both of these hitches, is it a problem because they aren't standard? For instance, if you drop it off at a dealer for service, can they move it around? Just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have not had any problems. The dealers I have seen use a forklift to move trailers and they put a ball on the fork to move it.

Garypowell

To Snoking, I wish we had a consumer testing org that could test things unbiased.

I generally take "better ride" comments in ads with a grain of salt. But there have been many who do report a better ride with their Andersen.....but compared to what???

by my count there is one less "joint" in the Andersen than my Curt....so I hope that helps.

But it the proof for me will be in the pulling.....and stopping.

BigGuy82

And you understand this because? I do not see how the one type of fixed vs another fixed could effect ride. Unless you are factoring in bed flex creating a smoother ride with an Andersen hitch verses a rail or puck/frame mounted fixed hitch. Chris

Maybe these hitches do - I don't know. I do know that it would be hard to beat the ride I get with the combination of Air Lift bags and the Flex Air pin box. Maybe because the ball can rotate a little?

jimtoo

Do either of the hitches come with 2 safety chains or have places to hook up safety chains. Some states require safety chains with ball hitches.

Jim M

Garypowell

Jim see my post above. If you buy Andersen chains they supply eye bolts to hook to the pin connector and the the other end of the chain is hooked to the truck.

212Pilot

To 212pilot.

Can you share how they told you to shim the ball for a better fit?

The folks at Anderson recommended using teflon tape or similar to shim the ball here it fits into the hitch. I used aluminum duct sealing tape because I had some on hand. One wrap was enough to take up the slack which was about .0020".

Garypowell

212pilot,

thanks! Interesting solution. My ball seems a little loose with the parts in my hand but I won't do anything until I see how it does under load. At least I'll be prepared.

As mentioned above the fit into the rail is perfect on one side but not the other. I am going to try my rubber pads from my Curt set up but again won't know until I try.

SNOKING

One thing to be sure to do is remove the Andersen adapter from the pin box if you leave the trailer at a dealer for service, as there are stories of them damaging the adapter due to not having the correct ball to fit it.

I you have ever seen them jocky trailers around with their fork lift you can understand the issue.

Chris

Greengas

Saw both hitches at the Denver RV show last weekend. Spoke to the rep for Pullrite. I asked where the chains go on a pullrite and he said that they don't. He said their lawerys got with the folks in California (according to him the pickiest state) and they told them that chains would not be required for the pullrite. Not sure how I feel about that. Also, I wanted something to use the Ford puck system and he (pullrite rep) said that they have a frame that you can buy (around $500.00) that would sit in the bed of the truck and mount to the frame and the hitch would mount to that. That frame about doubled the price of their hitch. Bottom line, I purchased the Anderson hitch. For me, the strongest reason for the Anderson is that our Mountain Region Director (shameless plug for our region:rolleyes:) has one and if he says its good to go and that Heartland says it won't violate the warranty, that's good enough for me. Oh, and the ton of research I did on my own. Time will tell.:):):)