Ducted A/C leaks at evaporator cure

rjr6150

Been reading about loss of air/cooling. Just got our unit back after new roof put in. The data cable wasn't pushed in and locked so no front A/C. In my prior life did HVAC.

Pulled the shroud off off the roof A/C. Looking at the front back there is an sheet metal cover which has 10 screws to remove. This gives one access to both the supply and return duct. Noticed considerable gaps on these areas. Quick fix with sheet metal tape and amazing increase in air flow.IMG_1624.jpg

Found this on both front & rear A/C's. Notice the gap where the white cable in the upper part goes back.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Been reading about loss of air/cooling. Just got our unit back after new roof put in. The data cable wasn't pushed in and locked so no front A/C. In my prior life did HVAC.

Pulled the shroud off off the roof A/C. Looking at the front back there is an sheet metal cover which has 10 screws to remove. This gives one access to both the supply and return duct. Noticed considerable gaps on these areas. Quick fix with sheet metal tape and amazing increase in air flow.View attachment 49873

Found this on both front & rear A/C's. Notice the gap where the white cable in the upper part goes back.

Do you have any way to circle the area you are talking about? I am totally unfamiliar as to what I'm looking at in that pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjr6150

All sorry I don't buttoned it all back up. It's a very obvious repair once the shroud is off and the cover removed from the front of the coil.

BobTheBuilder

I think I can explain as I did this on my SOB and am going to check them on my Bighorn. In the photo, look just below the two black hoses and you will see what appears to be a open area with a tear along the silver or foil edge. I believe that is the obvious hole he is referring to. When you go on the roof take your screw/nut gun, a roll of metal duct tape (not the grey fabric stuff) and a couple of rags, one pretty damp. Once you remove the sheet metal cover he referred to, just consider that all of the air being blown/sucked into that area should be confined. Therefore, any gaps, cracks or openings of any kind, no matter how small, should be sealed up. The rags are to clean those areas well so the metal tape adhesive will hold.