Last minte questions

The_Boys

1. I hear the dual pane windows have separation issues and need to be replaced often, also what does it add to insulation value, wondering if its worth the extra 2k and what it will cost down the road.

2. Can a simple solar system keep the residential fridge working or should we just go with the RV fridge as we will be boondocking some

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I can talk about question #1. First let me say that I have have dual pane windows on both Bighorns. I have not had an issues with either rig.
The current rig is seven years old now. When you say you heard, who did you hear from that said they have to be replaced often? A dealer that never used a camper.
I have heard of a couple of people saying that the windows fogged up some but in the overall scope of things given that there are thousands and thousand out there I would say that replacing often does not belong in the conversation.
The one thing that initially sold me on them when trying to make the decision to purchase was I had my wife go outside and talk to me with only the single pane storm door and then at a dual pane window, both in our house. There was no comparison as the single pane glass was like nothing at all between us. So they work great in reducing outside noise.
They also do not condensate in colder weather.
I will not be without dual pane windows.

Can't reply to question #2.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

1. I hear the dual pane windows have separation issues and need to be replaced often, also what does it add to insulation value, wondering if its worth the extra 2k and what it will cost down the road.

2. Can a simple solar system keep the residential fridge working or should we just go with the RV fridge as we will be boondocking some
Hi The_Boys,

Our dual pane windows are 7 years old. I have heard of one or two cases where one or two older windows fogged, but the idea that they have to be replaced often is pure fiction.

They don't add much insulation value because they're different from residential dual pane - no inert gas between the panes. But they do help with noise, and in cold weather they significantly reduce condensation and icing on the inside. Heat transfer in both direction through single pane windows can be huge, and dual panes slow it a bit.

If you install solar to keep the batteries charged, you can certainly keep the residential refrigerator running, but you'll have to look at all the loads you want to run and plan a system that delivers enough power.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance

1. The dual pane windows do not have separation issues that I am aware of. They do not provide hardly any additional R-value because you can not put the gas between the windows like the residential versions (to much vibration), and they will also add some additional weight. The one big benefit from the dual pane windows is that you don't get the condensation on the inside of the windows on a cold morning that you get with a single pane. It will also keep the coach quieter inside.

2. Yes you can add an aftermarket solar system to keep the batteries charged to run the residential fridge. It is really a matter of what is more important to you more refer space vs. dry camping ability. If you choose 23 cu. ft. residential refer (with 1000watt inverter and second battery), it does offer quite a bit more space (a lot more depth), and will run a while on a full battery charge. However the 18 cu. ft. gas/ electric refer is better if you plan to dry camp often.

thanks,

AJ Jones

BLR

When we ordered our Cyclone we optioned for the Residential Fridge knowing full well that we would need to run our 2000 watt generator some in the morning & nights till we added solar panels
We do mostly boondocking for 3 to 4 weeks at a time. I'm so glad we got it. Since we aren't close to alot of civilization in the desert sometimes the only reason to go to a bigger town is for fresh veggies

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

WyoCyclone

We just purchased a 2017 RW 425 with the residential fridge and purchased a GoPower 120 watt solar system and I'm very pleased with it. I watched my fridge temps with a gauge and shut it down at night. I was completely powered up most of the time. I have three deep cell batteries as well.

esscobra

the noise reduction is significant- the heat is much less- coming from full sun on asphalt inside nascar track- and also heat loss- (went from 80 to 40s when picking up unit) and compared to another unit w/o dual panes- you could tell differences in heat on outside of windows- also don't let as much heat in- a/c out as window temps confirmed when we compared mine to another bighorn w/o them last m0nth- everyone who has them loves them- those that don't haven't had them to know differences- wished I had not let dealer talk me out of the on previous unit- was a mandatory item for me on my bighorn- they are beneficial in hot weather and not just cold weather

The_Boys

Thank you everyone for your in put, We will go with the duel pain and the residential fridge, We wont need much power in the winter months down south and in the summer in Idaho we will have power. I will pick up a little Honda EU2000 as they are super quiet and will do a good job adding juice when needed. I have seen a article and for about 4500 we can add enough solar that we would be mostly fine in the winter. We are very excited to get our rig ordered in the next month or 2 . The only thing I wished Cyclone had is the smart monitoring system we can see things with our cell phones. We just moved into a 28ft TT from 2300 sq foot so when we get the new rig will feel like a palace lol!!!