Axle overhang

Can anyone explain to me what axle overhang is and what the importance is to the trailer (Pioneer tandem axles)? I have been told that we have 12" overhang on one side and 13" on the other. This whole concern started because we have excessive rubbing with the fender flare on the entry (door) side of the trailer and a slight rub on the other.

Would this affect the swaying motion with the trailer as well?

Thank you all!

John

wdk450

From the "About RVing" website:
"[FONT=&quot]You drag when two conditions exist. One is the depth of the depression plus the steepness of the approach and exit. Second, your “overhang”—defined as the length the rear end of the RV extends behind the rear axle. Overhang is unique to each RV."[/FONT]

Titanguy

Can anyone explain to me what axle overhang is and what the importance is to the trailer (Pioneer tandem axles)? I have been told that we have 12" overhang on one side and 13" on the other. This whole concern started because we have excessive rubbing with the fender flare on the entry (door) side of the trailer and a slight rub on the other.

Would this affect the swaying motion with the trailer as well?

Thank you all!

John

Overhang is the difference in your spring center and hub face. I have never seen an axle with different overhang. This tag shows Spring Center 68.5" and Hub face 87". This means the overhang is 18.5". You could have new axles built with an 86" hub face that would inset the tires 1/2" on each side.
Ditrich axle tag.jpg