Badger foam cell fifth wheel hitch.

wareagle

I am thinking of purchasing a Badger foam cell hitch in an attempt to get the old 2001 Ram 3500 to ride better. l already have full Keldermann suspension and a fifth airborn pin box. The big bumps and potholes are doing us in as we age. I talked with the company and it sounds good of course. Any one using one yet. Thanks for the input. Wareagle

Kelderman suspension update: I called K about rough ride and asked about removing u-bolt which is located between lower helper and extends upward to capture upper helper then cinched down. I removed it and the difference both loaded and unloaded is unbelievable. They did'nt give a reason for this addition when it was installed just that some trucks need it. The air now works in congruency with the upper helper which is 1/2 inch off the stops when loaded. I was also able to reduce rear air bag pressue from 93 psi to 78 psi when loaded and unloaded from 43 psi to 37 psi. The suspension really works now for the first time. Rode in swail along the road to simulate worst case scenero and was pleased with it. My wife stll thinks we should add the badger hitch so will order it on Monday. I guess she would still like a Caddy ride so we will keep trying as elusive as it may be. Will update with the Badger hitch install.Thanks for your input once again.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I know a guy that bought a hitch, and I don't recall the brand, but it looks just like the one you mentioned. It was very expensive and didn't do a thing for him. He returned it.
As mentioned, I would opt for the TrailAir FlexAir.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
You already have a air pinbox, I wouldn't throw that out just because everyone else says the lippert trial air is the best thing since sliced bread, there is a reason why there have been multiple versions since the beginning. And they come on many trailers standard, which accounts for some of the popularity.

Your Kelderman is the full 4 link replacement suspension?

Because of the way air bags work in absorbing shock and rebound, you may not smoothen out the ride by replacing anything with more air. The hitch you are looking at, I never heard of (but I also never looked for it as well) uses air cells and is similar to some hitches used in heavy and light duty trucks (HDT - MDT). Comfort hitch is very popular with converted to RV, heavy duty trucks.

Have you called Badger and tried working out a trial period?

avvidclif

I am thinking of purchasing a Badger foam cell hitch in an attempt to get the old 2001 Ram 3500 to ride better. l already have full Keldermann suspension and a fifth airborn pin box. The big bumps and potholes are doing us in as we age. I talked with the company and it sounds good of course. Any one using one yet. Thanks for the input. Wareagle

It's a 1 ton truck not a Cadillac. If you want a smoother ride I would suggest an HDT with air ride suspension, air ride cab, and air ride seats. With your current hitch then you can glide down the road. Between the weight of the truck and the air ride it will take care most if not all bumps. If you've never ridden in a big rig with air ride it will make a Caddy jealous.

Just my 2 cents worth.

SNOKING

What air pressure are you running in the rear tires? Have you weighed the rear axle loaded and set the inflation to the amount required for the weight, plus maybe 5 lbs extra. 80 inflation in four LT235/85R16E will beat you to death.

50 inflation provides 2006 lbs per tire capacity x 4 equals 8024. Truck rear GAWR is 8K I believe.

I am not sure that trailer puts you that high of rear axle weight.

35=1545. 40=1700, 45=1845, 50 2006, 55=2125, 60=2260, 65=2381, 70=2515, 75=245 and 80=2778. At 80 the four tires are good for 11,112 pounds and a brick truck ride.

Look near the bottom for your tires. https://commercial.firestone.com/co...015/FS_TBR_load-inflation-tables_web_2014.pdf

Chris

wareagle

What air pressure are you running in the rear tires? Have you weighed the rear axle loaded and set the inflation to the amount required for the weight, plus maybe 5 lbs extra. 80 inflation in four LT235/85R16E will beat you to death.

50 inflation provides 2006 lbs per tire capacity x 4 equals 8024. Truck rear GAWR is 8K I believe.

I am not sure that trailer puts you that high of rear axle weight.

35=1545. 40=1700, 45=1845, 50 2006, 55=2125, 60=2260, 65=2381, 70=2515, 75=245 and 80=2778. At 80 the four tires are good for 11,112 pounds and a brick truck ride.

Look near the bottom for your tires. https://commercial.firestone.com/co...015/FS_TBR_load-inflation-tables_web_2014.pdf

Chris

Hi Chris,
I usally run 40 psi on rear tires, keeping check of temps with infared thermometer. Front at 60 psi. They typically run about 120 degrees with ambient air of 85 degrees. I check temps of truck and trailer every stop. Trailer at 80 psi and those tires (Firestone) also run the same temp as the truck. Thanks for the input.

wareagle

You already have a air pinbox, I wouldn't throw that out just because everyone else says the lippert trial air is the best thing since sliced bread, there is a reason why there have been multiple versions since the beginning. And they come on many trailers standard, which accounts for some of the popularity.

Your Kelderman is the full 4 link replacement suspension?

Because of the way air bags work in absorbing shock and rebound, you may not smoothen out the ride by replacing anything with more air. The hitch you are looking at, I never heard of (but I also never looked for it as well) uses air cells and is similar to some hitches used in heavy and light duty trucks (HDT - MDT). Comfort hitch is very popular with converted to RV, heavy duty trucks.

Have you called Badger and tried working out a trial period?

I have called Badger and they are more than willing to work with me. I will not hit the road till june and he said no problem. If you are not happy with it send it back for full refund. They even give partial refund out to 30 months. They also give 20 percent discount to veterans. Living in fl. its hard to find bad roads to try it out on so the first real test would be I 95 South Carolina. My suspension is the full 4 link replacement. It will work with the fifth airborn hitch also. Worst case I can bolt the hitch to itself and it will act as a non air. Thanks for the input.

SNOKING

Hi Chris,
I usally run 40 psi on rear tires, keeping check of temps with infared thermometer. Front at 60 psi. They typically run about 120 degrees with ambient air of 85 degrees. I check temps of truck and trailer every stop. Trailer at 80 psi and those tires (Firestone) also run the same temp as the truck. Thanks for the input.

Good to hear that you are already on top of inflation. Chris