How old is too old?

tireman9

Wondering what the general thoughts are on how old is too old for using a tire on our trailers?
Do you have a hard and fast rule or do you wait till the tread wears out before you replace the treiler tires?

Thanks for your time.

jerryjay11

3 to 8 years depending on manufacturer. According to Tire Rack after 3 years a tire loses about 1/3 of its life. It helps to use tire covers to shade them from UV light even if you park in the shade. Also maintaining proper inflation.

danemayer

Based on my experience with failures, and that of some others on this forum, Goodyear G614s need to be seriously considered for retirement at 4 years, regardless of remaining tread.

Noofear

I'm changing out my Sailuns after 4 years. They were pretty scrubbed on the inside and outside.
I'm going to try Samson, I haven't seen too many problems posted here and other chat sites.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

Discount Tire always tells me 3-4 with 4 being the absolute outside in Arizona due to heat and sun. I went over that twice and suffered blowouts both times.

mlpeloquin

The rule of thumb has been trailer tires five years max and cars/trucks seven years. That being said, cutting a year off of that would be wiser. I replaced two of mu G614's at almost the four year point two months ago do to the rear axle being misaligned and causing the inner edges to scrub badly. The other two along with the spare will be changed out at the four year point before we go across country this fall.

Lynn1130

The rule of thumb has been trailer tires five years max and cars/trucks seven years

Ok, I have to ask. Who's rule of thumb?

I am thinking that it really depends upon where you live (climate), how often you drive, how long they sit, how much sun the get, along with a number of other factors.

MTPockets

The Goodyear website says 7 yrs for the G614... I imagine other tired and other manufacturers would list tire life as well. Of course good maintenance will insure achieving that life. For example, when I parked a week or for any longer length of time, I always used tire covers to prevent premature sun damage. Sun will dry out and cause sidewalls to crack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynn1130

There is a whole list of opinions if you Google tire life for RV tires. Some say 5-7 some say don't go over 4. I am sure that where you live and where you travel has much to do with it. Bottom line is if you want to be stranded on the road in the middle of the Navajo Reservation with limited rescue options and limited replacement options go 7.

sengli

My father in law who is mechanic, and life long RV'r...has always told me that the tires useful life is 7 years, no matter what the tires condition.

Mrsfish

We live in AZ. We store in a covered storage center. We baby the rig. That being said, we were elated when we got 5 years out of our g614 Goodyear’s. az’s dry climate and heat really takes its toll on tires, sitting or moving.

We live in AZ. We store in a covered storage center. We baby the rig. That being said, we were elated when we got 5 years out of our g614 Goodyear’s. az’s dry climate and heat really takes its toll on tires, sitting or moving.

I have found that with the 14 ply (g)tires my problems started after 4 years on long trips in high temperatures. I have been using them for about 18 years and now change the 5th year regardless of tread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

I'm changing out my Sailuns after 4 years. They were pretty scrubbed on the inside and outside.
I'm going to try Samson, I haven't seen too many problems posted here and other chat sites.

Why are you going to Samsons??? What is "pretty scrubbed on the inside and outside"? I don't understand that. When I find a tire that works and I like I don't go trying something else. ??????

Noofear

I'm going to Samson because the local tire dealer couldn't get Sailuns. Why not try a different brand, maybe Samson will be better than Sailuns.
Here's a picture of what I call scrubbed.
Notice the inner and outer tread is gone. I've aleays ran the tires with 110 pounds.
23f1ed56ce26081ed356362fd6536034.jpg
bf456afd95948ca6e364db628f5f88ae.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to Samson because the local tire dealer couldn't get Sailuns. Why not try a different brand, maybe Samson will be better than Sailuns.
Notice the inner and outer tread is gone. I've aleays ran the tires with 110 pounds.

That's pretty much normal wear for these large trailers.

Peace
Dave

Lynn1130

One thing to consider with trailer tires is the fact that without a differential the tires take a beating on turns. Watch your tires as you turn or back, especially if you get into a 75-90 degree turn. This stress shortens the life of a tire. Trying to save by running tires for longer periods may just cost more in lost time along a road someplace not to mention the danger of blowouts.

Last edited:

tireman9

Size? Position?

Is the condition seen in pictures on all tires or just one?

Est miles?