Thread: 2018 Bighorn Traveler 39MB room modification

1. Print this Post   #1

2018 Bighorn Traveler 39MB room modification

Anyone out there with a 2 cushion sofa that opens up in the midbunk room to a queen size bed? Has anyone taken this sofa out? I want to make this room a dedicated office space.
    I partially opened it and saw that it is bolted to the floor on the left and right sides but these bolts would be easy to remove. How have you disassembled it so that it can pass through the MB door and the exterior door?
    By the way, I removed the useless carpet and behold, the vinyl faux plank flooring continued from the kitchen and hallway into the midbunk room!!!! It is so much better without that drab tan carpet!!
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Print this Post   #2
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

Re: 2018 Bighorn Traveler 39MB room modification

Iíve dealt with sofa beds in my house before. First, remove the cushions and open the bed. Remove the air mattress, then unbolt the mattress support from the sofa carcass. Unbolt that from the floor and pull it into the room. Most likely you can disassemble the carcass. If not, tip it on one end and work it out the door. Without all that hardware, it should be reasonably easy to move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with feline fuzzbutts Ally, Merlin & Mickey)
    Max the Cat - RIP
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225

3. Print this Post   #3

I talked to Lippert about this and they told me that the sofa will come apart and can be removed. I designed a Murphy bed with a built in desk. The desk will fold down with a single bed. The bed has a filler to make it long enough for a full size adult.

Good luck

4. Print this Post   #4

Here are pictures of the side fold queen Murphy bed I built for our park model. I used a Rockler kit for the hardware and instructions. Computer tray when down latches with magnets and folds under when the bed is down. It is pretty heavy however!!!

Chris
    2015 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie SB - Deep Cherry Red over Silver - Her name is "Cherry"
    2017 BH3575el "Big Guy" 2019 Laredo 225MK "Little Guy" (our WA/AZ commuter trailer)
    Snowbird location: Site 413 Canyon Vistas RV Resort, Gold Canyon, Az
    Sunbird location: Camp Dailey 33F3 / Summer Camp 24F3(Parking and Guests), Lake Connor Park, Lake Stevens, Wa

5. Print this Post   #5
    Heartland: Director of Owners Interests jbeletti's Avatar

Wow Chris - that's amazing! Thank you for sharing.
    Jim Beletti
    Director of Owner Interests
    Heartland RVs

Index of my Sundance 262 RB Modifications

Club membership is free and it's easy to join. Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

6. Print this Post   #6

Quote Originally Posted by jbeletti View Post
    Wow Chris - that's amazing! Thank you for sharing.
    The Rockler hardware kit had good instruction of building the bed. The Computer tray was my addition. The bonus room is 7'8" x 9'8". The room has a pocket door from the corner of the Arizona room and a sliding door to a small 7x9' rear deck. When we have guest, I fire up a backup computer out in the mancave.

Not to bore you to much, here are a couple more pictures. We used another unit in the RV park as a guide and changed things for the larger lot we built on.

Chris
    2015 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie SB - Deep Cherry Red over Silver - Her name is "Cherry"
    2017 BH3575el "Big Guy" 2019 Laredo 225MK "Little Guy" (our WA/AZ commuter trailer)
    Sunbird location: Camp Dailey 33F3 / Summer Camp 24F3(Parking and Guests), Lake Connor Park, Lake Stevens, Wa

7. Print this Post   #7

Quote Originally Posted by bwdt View Post
    I talked to Lippert about this and they told me that the sofa will come apart and can be removed. I designed a Murphy bed with a built in desk. The desk will fold down with a single bed. The bed has a filler to make it long enough for a full size adult.

Good luck
    Hi folks. It was easy to remove the sofa/queen bed because it was able to be broken down in pieces. My MB room is now spacious and I have added a glass top desk for my desktop computer, thus freeing up the dining room table.

8. Print this Post   #8

Quote Originally Posted by -BLD- View Post
    Hi folks. It was easy to remove the sofa/queen bed because it was able to be broken down in pieces. My MB room is now spacious and I have added a glass top desk for my desktop computer, thus freeing up the dining room table.
    Cool. Chris