Ground on Onan 5500

Modmom0j

In the install manual it says to run a ground from the battery to the frame and from the ground screw on generator to the frame. I have a 2017 Torque 325 with generator prep package. Has everything there I was just curious if I could run the ground from the generator back to the ground on battery. Also is the battery already grounded to the frame so I don’t have to run another lead. Thanks in advance. About ready to fire it up.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your 12 volt battery has a neutral not a ground.
Ground your genny to the frame as directed.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure about the ground from battery but the 12 volt system may already be bonded to ground from the neutral buss bar.
You will have to look at yours.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

I believe the thick wire from the negative terminal of the battery goes to frame ground. The ground buss bar inside the interior fuse box also has a wire that goes to frame ground. And the Power Converter has a separate ground wire that I believe also goes to frame ground.

I think the buss bar near the battery only carries 12V from the battery, sharing it across all the breakers. The other side of each breaker goes to the load on the circuit.

LBR

In the install manual it says to run a ground from the battery to the frame and from the ground screw on generator to the frame. I have a 2017 Torque 325 with generator prep package. Has everything there I was just curious if I could run the ground from the generator back to the ground on battery. Also is the battery already grounded to the frame so I don’t have to run another lead. Thanks in advance. About ready to fire it up.
If you check your wires from the battery bank ground, you should already find a wire going to the negative buss, which in turn is grounded to the frame. If so, that is the one wire of two questioned you shouldn't need to duplicate again.

Just run a ground wire of proper gauge from the genny ground screw to your frame ground

Last edited:

danemayer

I would run the ground from the generator to frame ground, as the directions instruct. If you run the generator ground to the battery, if ever the battery is removed, you may also be disconnecting the ground of the generator.

LBR

I would run the ground from the generator to frame ground, as the directions instruct. If you run the generator ground to the battery, if ever the battery is removed, you may also be disconnecting the ground of the generator.
Correct you are and haste in my post #6 was a definite misfire....edited to read "frame ground" as I meant and as ours came from the factory...(SMH at myself)...sorry.