Disc brakes locking up?

Pulled into Destin last night to a horrible high squeal scraping noise coming from our tires, sounds like brakes. But definitely metal on metal, and possibly something dragging, at least it sounds like it. Can't visually see anything. The sound won't stop with brakes on or off. We unhooked the brake connector from the truck to see if it would release, no luck. It's constant. Anyone experience this?? Good thing we may it to our place in time!!

**2018 Cyclone 4200, purchased brand new in April of 2018, so a year old now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

danemayer

You may have a brake assembly that has fallen apart and has metal lodged against metal. Did you happen to check the hubs to see if any of them were burning hot?

If you have levelup, you could lift one side at a time and rotate the wheels by hand to see if one makes noise.

If the noise was from the brake assembly, you'll need to also check out the bearings for possible heat damage.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You will probably have to pull each wheel to see what’s happening. The hard part is usually loosening the lug nuts. They’re torqued to apprx 120 lb/ft, (if they were put on correctly) and can be a bear to loosen. I have to stand on my long wrench to get them loose. Loosen them a little, then use your level-up to raise the tire off the ground about an inch. You can then take the lugs off and remove the tires to find the problem. You said disc brakes, so it could be a loose caliper, broken or disintegrated pad, or a bad wheel bearing, or a rock caught in the brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hboy1

The sound won't stop with brakes on or off. We unhooked the brake connector from the truck to see if it would release, no luck. It's constant.

Pry some brake parts failed. I would jack one wheel off the ground at a time and spin it. See if you can locate the culprit that way. Then pull the hub and see what ya can see.