12 volt TV choices

DLCampn

Greetings all,

1st post on the forum and 1st time TT owner. Just took ownership of a 2018 Mallard M185. The majority of camping will be considered boondocking and am curious as to which brand of 12 volt TV everyone is using. I did see Furrion makes 12 volt compatible TV, but is there another manufacturer that you are using that is holding up with travel and usage. Thanks for the suggestions and comments in advance.

danemayer

Hi DLCampn,

Congratulations on the new Mallard and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

ASA Electronics makes Jensen TVs specifically for the RV market.

Oregon_Camper

Might want to test out your battery consumption over weekend at home. Seeing how you are bookdocking, I am guessing there is no over-the-air signals, so you are most likely going to be using a PC like device to stream to TV?

Without some way to keep battery(s) charged, you might find yourself with a dead battery after 2-3 days (if that long)

Depending on your budget you can go all out and install a massive solar setup (yea!!) or keep in around $500 and get a portable unit. Then your battery(s) might have a fighting chance.

I like GoPower...so something like this.

Link to Amazon

51U2VsYxwQL.jpg

DLCampn

Thanks for the rapid responses and ideas.

Oregon_Camper I plan on upgrading the current battery to extend run time. I will tune into previous threads for dual battery set ups. I will keep the solar option open as I notice that the Mallard already has a plug for solar.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I would add batteries and use a small Inverter on your current TV instead of buying a 12V TV. Of course solar is the best way to go if your doing any dry camping.

Now If it were me.
I would do the Solar, a few extra Batteries and install a larger full coach inverter. Like the Go power unit I installed on mine. It is so nice to push 1 button and have everything I need working.

esscobra

I had one of the Jensen units in previous trailer in bedroom- bought to fit in odd tv cabinet space and mounted on pivoting mount - held up great for 6 years and even used outside a lot and you can get a 110 adaptor as well- decent picture quality on it as well- shop around to find on sale and you can find a pretty good price more comparable to reg tvs-

Oregon_Camper

Thanks for the rapid responses and ideas.

Oregon_Camper I plan on upgrading the current battery to extend run time. I will tune into previous threads for dual battery set ups. I will keep the solar option open as I notice that the Mallard already has a plug for solar.

Well...if you have an extra $3,700 just laying around, you could always go with the combo kit from Go Power.

It is just money...right? :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Link to Amazon

71Ztyw68tPL._SL1500_.jpg

wdk450

You will have the full gamut of choices of the TV's for sale if you go the inverter route instead of the 12 volt TV. The 12 volt input type just gives you a few choices.

With the current generation of non-CRT (flat panel) TV's your current usage will be minimal, and the inverter (and associated wiring) can be pretty small.

eddylives

Best all around system I have used in previous trailers is this.
A battery bank (2 good deep cycle 12V) with an inverter and independent wiring for it.
The trailer runs on 12V boon docking like usual and when you require low load 120V you just turn on the inverter.
The method of battery charging is users choice.....I just ran a little 900W generator as required with a battery charger and it worked fine for weekend trips. (2 liters of fuel per 24 hrs)
A properly sized solar system would be my next choice if I were to upgrade.
I am going to set up our new trailer with the whole house system inverter style to avoid wiring the system independently.

Gaffer

Just add another battery (or two) and a small inverter.

51w-yMMem1L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

justafordguy

Keep in mind that many regular TVs actually run on 12v. They just use a wall adaptor to convert the 120V AC to 12V DC. Look at the adapter on your current TV and see what you already have. ;)

justafordguy are you referring to one of these devices

I believe what justafordguy meant was many of the small tv's you can buy at Best Buy and Walmart are in fact 12v to begin with but have an in cord adaptor to step them down to 12v. Using a small inverter to convert 12v to 110 which is then converted back to 12v is very inefficient. Makes more sense to just unplug the 110 cord at the back of the tv and plug in a straight 12v cigarette plug cord.