2000 F350 w/ DP-Tuner - what a ride!

skyguy

I rewarded my good behavior for the past year with a DP-Tuner engine computer last Christmas. Our trip to the Spring Rally in Gunnison CO was my first real mountain test for this system.

A 15k trailer limits your horsepower increase to only 40 (recommended), but even that makes a significant difference on the long uphill climb. With the horsepower increase, you learn to drive with one eye on the Exhaust Gas Temperature gauge - which monitors the temperature of the gasses flowing into the turbo. Keeping the gauge out of the red zone (1250 degrees) keeps the turbo happy. Still, it was happy chugging uphill at about 40 MPH on a 6-7% grade.

Then the next test - the DP-Tuner has a exhaust brake module (just another computer setting) that costs $40. Would this perform as well as the much more expensive after market exhaust brake add-ons?

YES!! Downhill - 7% grade, very comfortable 35-40 MPH. Had to tap the brakes just once over about 5 miles - very comfortable, very assuring!

Having a great time here at the Rally - enjoying meeting Jim Beletti from Heartland, and chatting with him about Heartland products.

ChopperBill

I put an Edge with Attitude on our GMC. I only use level 1 which is a 40 HP gain. Makes it a whole different truck. Say hi to the HL gang!

DBHooper

I have a 2000 F-350 7.3 XLT dually crew cab - and just learned from the previous owner that he gave his DP-Tuner to the dealer when he traded it in. I called the dealer and they said they'll get it to me. I understand they really make quite a difference when towing.

skyguy

You'll love it!

Hopefully the previous owner can tell you what the different tunes are. Some of the more powerful tunes are too hot to tow!

AL S.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
DP tuner F5 or F6 is the only way to go on a 7.3 Powerstroke. Jody really knows his $#&%

DBHooper

I got the tuner from the dealership today (are these guys great, or what?!) but it isn't a DP-Tuner...it's a SuperChips Max Microtuner 1705. I found its manual online and sounds like it will do similar functions as the DP-Tuner.

There is even a high performance setting - although the book says that it is NOT for towing. I also gather that using any one of the settings means keeping a close eye on your exhaust gas temperature (EGT) gauge and trying to not go over 1200 degrees.

Has anyone had experience with this unit?