2010 Ram 2500 with 2015 Big Horn

Hi all:

we are buying a 2015 Big Horn 3755 FL, Would like to know if my 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel will pull it without problem?
I am thinking about having another leaf spring added in to make it a 3500 I am not sure of the weight of the pin hitch if anyone on the site has a big horn 3755 FL has any trouble with a 2500 pulling your trailer?
Thank you all

mobilcastle

You may want to look at the payload of your truck. I think the pin weight may overload it. To estimate pin weight take the GVW of the 5ver and multiply by 20%. That will give a good starting point.

Bohemian

Pin weight will be the problem.

Remember, your max payload (nominally: GVWR-GVW) must less than what you load onto the truck, which incudes diver weight over150 lb., passenger weight, dogs, tools, accessories added to the truck, hitch weight, and actual pin weight which should be between 20-25% of actual loaded 5th wheel weight.

The unloaded pin weight of your unit is already close to or over the max payload of your truck empty.

Jim.Allison

Without regard to your door pillar sticker and knowing you are operating outside your vehicle specifications here is what you are dealing with. You can Never violate your GCVWR. This figure is directly related to the capability of your driveline and more importantly your ability to stop. This is the total weight of your truck trailer and everything in it. Cannot violate GCVWR.

This leaves your largest single problem. "payload." You cannot tow down the road with the rear bumper dragging the ground and the front wheels in the air. Forgive the satire, but I have seen it mostly with small SUV towing trailers. Your truck has a published payload. This is based on the ability of your frame, springs, diff and tires. Since you probably will be going over this figure your tires become the weak link and the major limiting factor. With your rig You are going to have to change your tires to a 20 inch commercial floatation, such as the Firestone Transforce AT or HT. And you are going to need to assist your springs a little.

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2010/docs/ram/rammlup2500.pdf

Hi all:

we are buying a 2015 Big Horn 3755 FL, Would like to know if my 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel will pull it without problem?
I am thinking about having another leaf spring added in to make it a 3500 I am not sure of the weight of the pin hitch if anyone on the site has a big horn 3755 FL has any trouble with a 2500 pulling your trailer?
Thank you all

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Note that the actual dry weight of each unit varies based on options. The yellow sticker on the door has the actual unit's dry weight. Here's an example of a 2015 BH3755:
475399617890de2bd3602b34b77a17bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

Ditto! then add something to the garage, that is virtually a pound for pound addition to your pin load. The basement is only a percentage of the actual weight but add something like a generator or a battery bank for solar and a pair of levis in the closet and you are way short on pin load. Then the mods start and before you know it your truck is a slave to your fiver, the tail is wagging the dog. And then there are no more mods available to get you through the problem.

Pin weight will be the problem.

Remember, your max payload (nominally: GVWR-GVW) must less than what you load onto the truck, which incudes diver weight over150 lb., passenger weight, dogs, tools, accessories added to the truck, hitch weight, and actual pin weight which should be between 20-25% of actual loaded 5th wheel weight.

The unloaded pin weight of your unit is already close to or over the max payload of your truck empty.