2011 Bighorn AC Replacement

TexanJohn

Hello,

We have a 2011 Bighorn 3670RL. We need to replace the main AC unit. We've been reading and researching, but still have questions.

It appears that the original unit was 15K BTU's (no heating capability). I am unsure on the brand, but the wall thermostat is Dometic.
Do we need to worry about the existing wall mounted thermostat? I cannot tell if a new unit would work with it or how I would wire it. Many of the new units have handheld (wireless remotes) although I'm unclear on where these units actually measure air temperature.

I like the RecPro unit with a heat pump (our daughter is living full time in the trailer right now in central Texas).

Any recommendations on a replacement unit? Whether the heat pump (or heating strip) is a good idea?
When we replace it, should we go ahead and install a soft start device?

Thanks.

wdk450

I did an EBay search and came up with this ASA 15KBTU unit listed as being a "direct replacement" for the Dometic Brisk Air II I have in my Bighorn, for less than $900, free shipping.

Bobby A

If this is your first replacment A/C then you are doing GREAT !! I have a 2010 Bighorn and I have replaced my 15K about 5 years ago. I am know looking for one in the bedroom. I never had one, but I do have dual pane windows that has helped bigtime over the years. Any advise Bill on a 13K for the bedroom ??

wdk450

No advice here on AC. I don't have a 2nd unit, and there are so many new brands on EBay search I have never heard of, just everything about 1 1/2 times the price of what it used to be. I bought a new replacement top 1/2 (rooftop compressor, evaporator, fan) about 6 years ago for around $600, free shipping.
The biggest recommendation I can make about trying to keep your RV tolerable in high summertime temperatures is to get all of your roof surfaces coated with a high IR reflective coating like Henrys Tropi-Cool 887 (94% IR reflectance). This stuff has also about doubled in price in the last 2 years, but I can remember crawling on the roof in 75 degree temperatures with just the original Dicor rubber sheeting in place and having to put rags under my hands to keep from getting burned; then after the Henrys 887 coating was applied on a similar 75 degree day crawling on the roof and finding the surface COLD to the touch. I believe that the trailer stays much cooler, and the air conditioner runs much less after the roof treatment.

Last edited:

Broncos Fan

If this is your first replacment A/C then you are doing GREAT !! I have a 2010 Bighorn and I have replaced my 15K about 5 years ago. I am know looking for one in the bedroom. I never had one, but I do have dual pane windows that has helped bigtime over the years. Any advise Bill on a 13K for the bedroom ??
Hi Bobby, this is Ted from Utah. I have a 2010 Big Horn 3410re with living room and bedroom A/Cs. First time RV owner with no RV knowledge and limited mechanical skills so I spend a lot of time on You Tube learning what I need to DIY the "multiple" problems that I'm having. Back in April I cleaned up both AC units, wire brushed off any rust then oiled the mechanical parts and have no problems with keeping my 36 foot, leaking cool air from from multiple locations ( hot air during winter ) SIEVE of a home cool. When building these trailers do they even bother adding insulation? Trying to learn how to remove interior wall panels, without damage to reuse once I add insulation; especially the slide-outs and both the front and rear caps which seem to have no insulation at all.

david-steph2018

Hi Bobby, this is Ted from Utah. I have a 2010 Big Horn 3410re with living room and bedroom A/Cs. First time RV owner with no RV knowledge and limited mechanical skills so I spend a lot of time on You Tube learning what I need to DIY the "multiple" problems that I'm having. Back in April I cleaned up both AC units, wire brushed off any rust then oiled the mechanical parts and have no problems with keeping my 36 foot, leaking cool air from from multiple locations ( hot air during winter ) SIEVE of a home cool. When building these trailers do they even bother adding insulation? Trying to learn how to remove interior wall panels, without damage to reuse once I add insulation; especially the slide-outs and both the front and rear caps which seem to have no insulation at all.
When these are built, they use Styrofoam insulation in the walls, not the same as a house. You can probably add the pink insulation in the front/end caps.

wdk450

To Ted from Utah and ALL Heartlanders:
The biggest thing I have done to mitigate the poor insulation and reduce summertime temperatures inside was when I had and RV servicer apply Henrys Tropi-Cool 887 Elastometric White roof coating to the roof and slide tops. This stuff has an approximate 94% IR heat reflectance value. I got this done in early 2020, but the shelf prices in Home Depot have about doubled since then. The entire job with pre pressure washing, pre crack caulking, missing plumbing vent caps replaced, and 2 coats of the sealant (1 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon) cost $900 back then.