2012 Heartland Bighorn 3610RE

DoubleB

Hi Everyone,
Please excuse me if I don't do this properly I am new here. I have a 2012 Heartland Bighorn 3610RE and when I purchased it brand new it did not come with a generator. I am at the point now where I want to install a generator and it looks like it goes in the front storage area. Now that door opening is only 22 in wide so I am wondering how we get a generator in that small of a size opening or do they somehow drop the floor in the bottom of it and lift the generator from the ground up into that cavity? I have been looking at portable generators to put in that opening but the big size generators are larger in width than 22 in wide which means I would not be able to get it through that door. So as you can tell I am lost and I need help badly. So I thank you in advance for your suggestions and help.

sengli

Unless your a serious do it yourselfer, this isnt an easy install to do safely. Not only physically mounting a generator, but running gas lines, and then the transfer switch that is required to run the electrical power to the rig, again is not an easy install if your not very qualified. Sounds like you might be better off speaking with a local dealer for more specifics.
Seeing as I only would use a generator very seldomly, I opted to use an external unit and just plug it in.

danemayer

I believe when it's a factory order, the generator is put in early in the build, so the opening size is not an issue. Not sure about aftermarket.

But sengli is right in pointing out that sitting in place may be the easiest part of the installation. A small number of people have installed Onan 5500 generators on their own. There's a lot to it.

Smaller inverter generators may work for you depending on how much power you need. The Honda EU2200i is very popular. You can join 2 of them to provide enough wattage to power most of your RV appliances at the same time. You may be able to fit 2 of them in the front compartment, but would have to work on security so they don't walk. Possibly travel with them in the front and operate them on the ground while chained to the front landing jacks.

Flick

If I were you, I would secure a couple bids (at least 2) from reliable installers. Although I agree the install would be quite a task for someone who’s never done this before, for someone in the trade it would be pretty straightforward. Even if the generators would be installed during the rv build process, there has to be a way to remove/replace them if they have a problem.
Installng a generator like a factory unit would be way cheaper than buying a different coach if the generator is really what you want.

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
DoubleB, I would advise checking with professional installation companies for quotes to purchase, install and servicing. Amerigen here in Reno has worked on our portable generator and I reccomend the company. Wish you luck on this venture.

centerline

its almost always possible to cut an opening larger, then install a larger door in the space, which you WILL need to access and work on the genset when necessary...

what model/size generator are you wanting to install?.... make sure the floor space and compartment is wide/long enough for the genset.

my trailer didnt have a genset either, so I installed one (onan 5500) but I didnt have to cut the opening bigger to get it to fit.

the fitting in and mounting of the generator was the easy part, but finding a place for a fuel tank, procuring one of the right size for the space, figuring out the best way to mount it, and then getting it mounted was the most difficult task and took the longest.
.....then, installing a fuel gauge, gauge wires, fuel line, to generator and then splicing on to the wires from the remote start switch that you mount inside, down some hidden path to the generator, was almost equally as difficult....

Angler

Hi Everyone,
Please excuse me if I don't do this properly I am new here. I have a 2012 Heartland Bighorn 3610RE and when I purchased it brand new it did not come with a generator. I am at the point now where I want to install a generator and it looks like it goes in the front storage area. Now that door opening is only 22 in wide so I am wondering how we get a generator in that small of a size opening or do they somehow drop the floor in the bottom of it and lift the generator from the ground up into that cavity? I have been looking at portable generators to put in that opening but the big size generators are larger in width than 22 in wide which means I would not be able to get it through that door. So as you can tell I am lost and I need help badly. So I thank you in advance for your suggestions and help.

Just to give you an idea, It cost me $2100 for installation of my Onan 7k. Included transfer switch, all wiring and all of the wiring harnesses for the remote start too. My Big Horn came with an LCI screen. It did not include connection to a gas tank or tapping in the propane line.

Good Luck!

JJnVA

We have had a 2011 BigHorn 3610RE for over 10 years and have always carried 2 Honda EU2200i generators in our front generator compartment. Have met our needs when dry camping either paired when we need more wattage or as a single unit. Still plenty of room to store other items in front compartment when traveling.