2016 BC Front cap chipping

2016 Big Country 3800FL
Purchased in May 2016
We are experiencing paint chipping in several areas.
We've identified over 18 areas on the front cap that have one or more chips in the paint.
I'm working with service on resolving our problem.
I've taken the BC to a local Body shop, and they believe the paint and clear coat are too thin to withstand the natural elements of traveling.
Anybody else having paint chips on their rigs??

Oh, and yes, we know rocks cause chips, but this is not the cause of our issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-10-17-22-04-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-10-17-22-04-37.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot_2016-10-11-11-00-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-10-11-11-00-34.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 128

Jim_Hull

I just noticed a rather large chip on our BC 4010 this weekend as I was washing bugs off the cap. Is customer service working with you cooperatively?

Jim

Jim, that's exactly how we noticed the chips on ours.
Service has us jumping through a few hoops, but yes, the rep we are working with is being very cooperative.

chipdaniel

We have the same issue on our 2016 4010RD BC. I have not addressed it thinking it was from rock chips - now I wonder??

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
For those with this issue, can you post your month of manufacture? Would be curious to see if it's a trend from a certain "batch" of front caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noofear

I have small ones all over on a 2015 Bighorn 3875 FB

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jam20ster

I have the same issue on my 2016 Cylcone 4200. Made in May of 2015.

I just purchased touch up paint and took care of it.

They do appear like they would be rock chips.
My local auto repair shop, that services the RV dealer here, thinks the paint and clear coat are too thin.
It's not possible for them to be rock chips as the front of my fifth wheel is in the center of the truck box.
Touch up paint would fix the spots, however it's not going to solve the issue.
We identified 18 different areas on the cap. Probably a total of 30 or so chips.
We are waiting on a response from the Service Rep on the Body shop estimate.
Preferably, I'd like to have my cap replaced with one that has thicker paint coats and clear coat.
Ask around.

jam20ster

It still more than likely rock chips, possibly from other vehicles in front of you (same way the front of our vehicles get chipped). I know that bug guts when dried are very acidic and cause the stickers to fade or discolor, but not the paint.

It still more than likely rock chips, possibly from other vehicles in front of you (same way the front of our vehicles get chipped). I know that bug guts when dried are very acidic and cause the stickers to fade or discolor, but not the paint.
Thanks.
My truck isn't all chipped up, and that surely doesn't explain those that are lower on the front where it would be shielded by the cab of my truck.
I'd of had to of been on a gravel road following another vehicle to get that many.
I posted here to see if there is indeed an issue out there.
With the few responses, there apparently is some out there.
If you are content using touch up paint, that's your choice.
I'm not.