3160 Pin Weight?

Greetings Bighorn owners, we are still working our way toward upgrading our SOB for a Bighorn 3160 and I have come across some conflicting info on pin weight of the 3160. The factory literature states 2100 lbs. I have seen other info that places the pin weight at 2600 to 280O lbs. My tow vehicle is a 2500hd Duramax 4x4 SWB CC with a GVWR at 9200 lbs. With truck, passenger, fuel ect and 2000 lb pin weight I am already over GVWR for the truck by a couple of hundred lbs and a pin weight at 2500 (+) lbs would be of some concern. My current fifth wheel pin weight is 2000 lbs with full propane and 1/3 fresh water and loaded for the road. With air bags and a full extended fuel tank my truck does not sag when hooked up and tows very comfortably down the road. Would those of you who have weighed your truck with pin weight figured out please let me know your numbers. I feel that GM GVWR posted on the truck is CYA number and that we do have some "fudge room" but at the same time safety concerns for me and fellow motorists I share the road with drives my thought process. Thanks, Dave

When folks start trying to get public opinion on what they can tow, I try to refer them to www.fifthwheelst.com for info on to properly do the math to see what your tow vehicle can tow.

Here's another good article:
http://fifthwheelst.com/truck_pulls_it_fine.html

And check out his new app:
Www.rvTowcheck.com
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, I will check them out. That is why I am checking actual road ready pin weights vs the weights published in the brochures and the above apps will help put it all together.

KrazyKampers

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have the same camper and pull with a Duramax 3500 HD SRW. Dale did a lot of calculations before we purchased our truck and felt the 2500 was not enough truck for us to pull safely.

Karen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

usnaviator

Retired Alabama Chapter Leaders
We had the truck and 3160 weighed by SmartWeigh at the last SE Regional rally. SmartWeigh weighs each wheel of the truck and the trailer; our pin weight was calculated at 2700 lbs. We tow with a Chevy 3500HD SRW with a GVWR of 11,500 and we are right at the max.

mlpeloquin

Pin weight is given by the factory as a basic unit. Add factory upgrades and all your stuff, and then you will get the actual towing pin weight. Stuff the closet, dressers, under bed storage, storage compartments, well you will have one heck of a lot more weight than you would think. So purchase with margin. More truck no worries.