5th wheel hitch for 2016 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 towing a Landmark Newport

Miltp920

We pulled the trigger on a 2016 GMC 3500HD Denali 4x4 DRW to set ourselves up to tow a 18,000 lb Landmark Newport. I will need to buy a different hitch, as my old one is only 16K pullrite slider. So, my local hitch shop sells Reese, Curt, and B&W. I have no idea if I will need to adjust the elevation of the hitch, as I do not even have possession of the truck yet (2-3 days as it is coming here from another dealer). I have read at least one post where the owner said his rig did not ride level because his hitch did not have any up down adjustment. So, they all must not be adjustable. Also, does drilling into the frame on a new truck under warranty void any warranty on the frame? I thought all hitch mounting required drilling holes to mount hitches to the frame. So, I would appreciate input on hitch choice specifically for towing the landmark with the MorRyde system on the landmark.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I put a 20k Reese on my F350 Dually. Didn't have to drill into the frame anywhere. The hitch came with a mounting kit that bolted to the frame in existing holes. Just had to drill through the truck bed where the templates and measurements show and the hitch rails were then thru bed bolted to the frame kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Does the new truck come with a B&W turnover ball installed? If so, you can get the B&W Companion. Great hitch. Does have some adjustability.

IronJ

I use the companion on both my trucks...one is a turnover mount and the other is Factory pucks..both have several inches of adjustment when setting up and also fwd/back adjustment. ..my previous hitch was a superglide. ..it worked great in the ram short bed, but literally weights 400lbs...the companion comes apart and is a breeze to remove (especially the puck system, as it just had a few handles to turn and is considerably lighter than even the turnover mount! )

In any case if you don't have Factory prep your drilling the bed...usually the frame does not have to be

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Rollin_Free

Check into the Anderson Ultimate 2 that can be used with almost any in bed gooseneck ball. I have B&W reverse ball in-bed and it works great with the Anderson hitch. The Anderson Ultimate 2 has 4500 hitch weight and 24K tow so it's specs are as high or better than other quality hitches. At about 32lbs. and the ability to store in the basement it's a perfect hitch for me. I really like the ability to install or remove in less than 5 minutes and not need a helper. I you haven't heard about it you really need to check it out before you decide what you want to purchase. Many YouTubes on them and I think you would regret not checking them during your search.

Last edited:

RoadJunkie

I had heard so much about the B&W hitch that I thought I would try one...and, I love it. Great solid hitch, easy in, easy out. Can easily be reduced to two pieces for easy loading into the truck bed. I think they are the standard for a simple quality hitch.

rhodies1

We pulled the trigger on a 2016 GMC 3500HD Denali 4x4 DRW to set ourselves up to tow a 18,000 lb Landmark Newport. I will need to buy a different hitch, as my old one is only 16K pullrite slider. So, my local hitch shop sells Reese, Curt, and B&W. I have no idea if I will need to adjust the elevation of the hitch, as I do not even have possession of the truck yet (2-3 days as it is coming here from another dealer). I have read at least one post where the owner said his rig did not ride level because his hitch did not have any up down adjustment. So, they all must not be adjustable. Also, does drilling into the frame on a new truck under warranty void any warranty on the frame? I thought all hitch mounting required drilling holes to mount hitches to the frame. So, I would appreciate input on hitch choice specifically for towing the landmark with the MorRyde system on the landmark.

You can purchase from your hitch supplier ,frame mounted bolt on brackets to fit your new truck,no drilling into the frame,they line up perfectly to install your box rails,go on Reese web site or google 5th wheel install and there are plenty of videos showing how easy this install is compared to the old set up.I have 2012 Ford 350 and installed my complete hitch myself, no issues.I would not drill my frame with the availability of these new frame brackets.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjwink

We have a 15 1/2 GMC 3500 DRW with a B& W 18000 Companion. Great hitch. Served us well in over 20,000 mi of towing.

GOTTOYS

Your 2016 may come equipped with mounting pucks in the bed that you can drop the proper hitch into if it was ordered with them. This is a new feature on the 2016s. Be sure to check with your dealer before you buy a new hitch. If this is the case there should be several manufacturers wit hitches that will work. My first choice however would be a B&W. All American made with American materials. Very well made made and nicely finished. No slop, very easy to use. Offers both front to back as well as up and down adjustments. Check some of the dealers online. They usually offer way better pricing than local dealers..Don

meagle

I just purchased a 2016 GMC Denali dually and plan on using my Reese 20K hitch once I get the brackets installed. How do you like your truck and how does it handle your RV? Car and Driver reviews called it the Taj Mahauler. So far I would have to agree due to the ride and how quiet it is while driving.

TravelTiger

I just purchased a 2016 GMC Denali dually and plan on using my Reese 20K hitch once I get the brackets installed. How do you like your truck and how does it handle your RV? Car and Driver reviews called it the Taj Mahauler. So far I would have to agree due to the ride and how quiet it is while driving.

Did your truck come with the B&W turnover ball? If so, sell that Reese and get a B&W Companion. Great hitch, easy in and out when you need to use the bed. No stress over finding rails and making them fit.

We love our 2013 GMC 3500 Denali. Tows great!!

meagle

My truck did not have the turnover ball. I have a fairly new Reese 20K that I intend on using for now. A good friend of mine just purchased a B&W hitch for his truck. I must say that I was really impressed with the hitch and how it operates. I also noticed that you have a TST-507 tire monitoring system. How do you like the system? I am looking at the TST and also the tireminder product.

TravelTiger

My truck did not have the turnover ball. I have a fairly new Reese 20K that I intend on using for now. A good friend of mine just purchased a B&W hitch for his truck. I must say that I was really impressed with the hitch and how it operates. I also noticed that you have a TST-507 tire monitoring system. How do you like the system? I am looking at the TST and also the tireminder product.

We've had the TST system for a while now. Had it on our ElkRidge, and it saved our bacon at least twice. We had to add the repeater because early on, had a sensor that kept dropping out. After repeater, no issues. Even had a sensor stop working, even with new battery, after our warranty was up. Called TST to buy a new one, they said send it in and we'll send you a refurbished one.

Now it's on the Big Country, and moved over the repeater as well. Still have one sensor that likes to drop, so I may call TST and see what they can do.

rhodies1

You do not have to drill the frame,most manufactures of 5th wheel no sell a plate that bolts to the frame which reqir s no drilling,it use the existing holes in the frame.I have a rees Titan hitch and used these plates easy and clean,installed hitch myself with no issues.