5th wheel hitch size

Grey Ghost

Is a 15k valley slider 5th wheel hitch big enough to pull a 5ver with a dry weight of 9350lb? I would never pull with much water in any of the tanks and there are just the two of us. We don't pile everything we own in the 5ver when we go and have just the normal stuff such as chairs, stoves, lights and tables in the storage bin. Just wondering if my 15k is big enough?

AAdams

We full time in a 5'er and only add a few thousand pounds of stuff, so you 'should' be ok. BUT weighing the trailer with all the stuff, water, propane, etc is the ONLY way to be sure.

Safe Travels

mlpeloquin

So long as your maximum trailer weight is at or below the 15k hitch rating you are safe, and you will be with a GVWR of 13800lbs. Things change over time and we always think we will never..... That being said, I installed a Husky 26k hitch because it didn't cost much more. Not taking anything near its maximum rating will make it last longer. If you decide to purchase a heaver fifth wheel in the future, you will not have the added expense of having to change the hitch out. Also at Goshen rally last year we had out fifth wheel weighed. Well without any fresh water, we were within 200lbs of maximum rated weight. We apparently were the exception. The people doing the weighing told me that most rigs were well over the maximum rating some as much as 2000lbs and one at almost 4000lbs! The 9350lbs dry weight is before any options were added ether by you or the RV dealer. So it may be already much heaver than you think.

rhodies1

Is a 15k valley slider 5th wheel hitch big enough to pull a 5ver with a dry weight of 9350lb? I would never pull with much water in any of the tanks and there are just the two of us. We don't pile everything we own in the 5ver when we go and have just the normal stuff such as chairs, stoves, lights and tables in the storage bin. Just wondering if my 15k is big enough?

what is the load capacity of the hitch ,yes it is rated for 15k but what rating does it carry for tongue weight,most 15 k hitches have a 4 k to due weight rating.What is your tongue weight,you need to consider the weight of the hitch,the amount of people in the cab ,their weights,how much stuff you will carry in your compartments,all of these factor into the capability of the hitch,take care.