5th Wheel Travel Trailer Hitches Alternatves

Bohemian

Now that we have the 5th wheel towing package on many trucks, like my Ram, we also have two different, easy to use alternatives for towing our trailers.

My application is a 5th wheel travel trailer which uses a 5th wheel pin, not a gooseneck. So, it looks like a no brainer and I get one of the new 5th wheel hitches that fit the 4 puck system. B&W or Curt.

Hold on, Anderson makes a 5th Wheel Ultimate Goose neck Hitch (adapter) that looks like a real good alternative. Simpler, lighter, easier to install and remove, far less expensive.

Anybody have any experience? Comments. Normally "adapting" is a weaker system, but this looks like it might even be better.

http://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx

vs

http://www.turnoverball.com/products/rvhitch/companion-oem-5th-wheel-hitch-fits-ram-puck-system

sengli

I ran across a guy at the Indianapolis RV show this week, and he raved about the anderson unit. He said it was inexpensive ($400) and was light enough he could remove it all by himself if needed. I listened to him explain the unit, and it sounded to like a gooseneck adaptor type unit. He was all about this unit, because he said he had "chucking " issue's, and now with this anderson hitch he doesn't? He said his mounted in the bed of his truck, on his existing rails.

Chippendale

I ran across a guy at the Indianapolis RV show this week, and he raved about the anderson unit. He said it was inexpensive ($400) and was light enough he could remove it all by himself if needed. I listened to him explain the unit, and it sounded to like a gooseneck adaptor type unit. He was all about this unit, because he said he had "chucking " issue's, and now with this anderson hitch he doesn't? He said his mounted in the bed of his truck, on his existing rails.

This is 100% correct. I have an Andersen hitch sitting on the rails in my pickup bed right now. I have only towed the trailer about 150 miles with it, but there is all the difference in the world between it and my old Reese 16K slider hitch. You do know the trailer is back there, but there is no jerking or bumping when stopping or starting, etc. I purchased mine in person at the Tweety's.com headquarters store in of all places, Bulverde, TX and a guy who appeared to be the owner of Tweety's, maybe the manager, but I think owner, said he towed his toy hauler with one and would not use anything else. I paid $349.99 for mine, it may have been on sale, and they said the shipping would have been free had I ordered it. It took about 30 or so minutes to install the hitch in the pickup and the adapter on the pin on the trailer. Removing the hitch from the pickup is a piece of cake, remove the 4 pins from the rails and lift it out. The only drawback I see to it is that it may be a little harder to hitch until I get use to it.

There is also a "safety chain" kit that should be used with it. I have one on order right now, it is $69.99, free shipping.

Chippendale

I forgot something, if you watch the videos in the Andersen link of the OP's posting, note that the trailer they are using has a Mor/ryde pin box on it. I was going to change out the pin box on my Gateway to try and cut down on the chucking, etc and that was when I found the Andersen hitch. I called the Andersen factory and talked to the rep for Texas and he told me that trailer they used in the video belonged to the owner and it just happened to have the Mor/ryde pin box on it. He said you do not have to have any kind of special pin box, and I have found that to be true. Also, be sure and watch the "crush test" video and read about the $5,000,000 supplemental warranty in the link at the bottom of the web page.