5th wheel vs bumber/trailer hitch

fitzy54

1st time soon to be camper trailer owner. Now I have a Dodge 250 Cummings diesel pick up. And we want to stay under the 30’ mark 5th wheel vs bumper tow pros and cons would be appreciated from experienced drivers

taskswap

This is pretty opinionated. But we personally find fifth wheels to be smoother rides and easier to maneuver. Having the pivot point be over your rear tires instead of the bumper means you can make much tighter turns backing up. And fifth wheel hitches can be rated for much higher loads, although if you want your max to be 30' that won't matter much to you. Finally, fifth-wheel campers typically have higher ceilings and more space for an equivalent length due to the portion that sits "up and over" the truck.

That being said, the hitches themselves are also often MUCH more expensive (all three parts of our Curt, together, were like $1700 IIRC), are very heavy, and take a lot of bed space. I think there's something to be said for both types...

CoveredWagon

This is pretty opinionated. But we personally find fifth wheels to be smoother rides and easier to maneuver. Having the pivot point be over your rear tires instead of the bumper means you can make much tighter turns backing up. And fifth wheel hitches can be rated for much higher loads, although if you want your max to be 30' that won't matter much to you. Finally, fifth-wheel campers typically have higher ceilings and more space for an equivalent length due to the portion that sits "up and over" the truck.

That being said, the hitches themselves are also often MUCH more expensive (all three parts of our Curt, together, were like $1700 IIRC), are very heavy, and take a lot of bed space. I think there's something to be said for both types...
I believe Andersen hitches are well under $ 1,000

rhodies1

Go with the B and W hitch. Far superior toany hitch out in the market. One great advantage of the 5 th wheel is no trailer sway… You see travel trailer going up and down the road swaying like a dogs tail. This doesn’t happen with a 5 th wheel. A disadvantsge can be the height. You need to be aware of your surroundings when towing a 5 th wheel, there height Is higher and you need to watch for bridge height and sometimes tree branches in camp grounds. I have had 3 —5 th wheels and would never go back to a trailer. My opinion.

david-steph2018

1st time soon to be camper trailer owner. Now I have a Dodge 250 Cummings diesel pick up. And we want to stay under the 30’ mark 5th wheel vs bumper tow pros and cons would be appreciated from experienced drivers
Questions about the truck, is it stock? Have you modified the suspension or put larger tires on the truck?
Any upgrades to the truck?
The reason I am asking is, if you have installed a lift kit and larger tires, you may have some issues towing the 5th wheel level.

CoMaddMax

With my 30K+ miles of RV travel I have never seen a 5th wheel in the ditch or on its side. I have seen several bumper pulls in the ditch or sitting on their side. One on its side actually held the rear wheels of the Suburban off the ground.

fitzy54

Thank you for your input on this gentleman. I too do like the idea of a fifth for handling. But I am also coming across the latest and greatest of a what they call goose neck pin box or something like that, and this allows you to remove the ball hitch, when not in use but putting all that weight on the ball hitch, I do have some concerns. Seems like an awful lot of pressure on one spot versus the kingpin and fifth wheel plate. has anyone had any experience with this gooseneck style?

CoveredWagon

Thank you for your input on this gentleman. I too do like the idea of a fifth for handling. But I am also coming across the latest and greatest of a what they call goose neck pin box or something like that, and this allows you to remove the ball hitch, when not in use but putting all that weight on the ball hitch, I do have some concerns. Seems like an awful lot of pressure on one spot versus the kingpin and fifth wheel plate. has anyone had any experience with this gooseneck style?
I've used the Andersen Ultimate hitch for 8 years pulling for many many K miles. I pull a 35 ft Heartland 3270 rs well within the weight limits of the hitch. You'll hear the old timers tell you all kinds of stories about safety and this and that. I'll just tell you it's easy and it works for me. Interestingly enough other manufactures have started selling ball type hitches as well.

rhodies1

Everyone has their thoughts in the gooseneck style. Personally I am not a fan of those style hitches. To me it’s another attachment to the current hitch or you need to remove the king pin and bolt on another. Not my style.