6 point level system issue

tomsws6

Ok here is the story..

We bought it (cyc 4200) and as we are hooking it up and going over the leveling system it stops after a few 20sec or so after trying to level it out.. The salesman said it was probably due to it sitting and the battery not fully charged. We had to hit the the auto level a couple of times and it leveled. It would level for about a few seconds and then stop. You couldnt hit it immediately as nothing would happen. after about 10sec you could hit the auto level and it would take off doing the same thing.. At this point I was hooked up to the truck too and not a 50amp service. So, we get home and we go through the same process after the battery is being charged for the 4hr drive home. Now, we couldn't hook up to the house as we didn't have a 50/30 amp adapter.. So I hook it up to go to through the inspection lane and hit the retract and have the same issue.. And when I get home and the cord is still hooked up to the truck it does the same thing. It stops after a few sec and it gives a out of stroke error. BTW it said this at the dealership too, forgot to add that. Now I figured ok maybe the its extended to far so I hook the truck back up a bring the gears up. I put blocks under the gears and hit auto level and same ol same ol... I just keep hitting auto level and it eventually levels it out.. I wonder if its something Im doing wrong? Iv gone from manual scissor jacks to this.

danemayer

Hi tomsws6,

There's a 50 amp 12V DC mini-circuit breaker in the electrical path to the hydraulic pump. Sounds like it's tripping and after a few seconds it resets.

This can be caused by a number of things:

- low battery voltage
- loose wire connection or ground at the pump
- loose connections at the battery terminals
- weak 12V circuit breaker
- a bind in the mechanism causing the pump to draw too much current

At this point I'd suggest getting a good charge on the battery and checking the battery terminal connections.

Repeated tripping may weaken the breaker, causing it to trip even after the battery is charged. The dealer should be able to replace it or give you one, or you can buy them for about $10 at auto parts or marine stores. Takes 5 minutes to install. The buss bar with breakers is near your battery.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 58

BLHFUN

Is the happening when you extend or retract the front jacks from the front switch, or just during the auto level function? Have you Also tried to manually drop the legs in manual mode and get the same results?

OEFVET

It sounds like a weak battery connection or battery as Dan said. I've also heard of the 6 point level not installed/setup correct from the factory. I say this because based on your explanation it has never worked correctly. The dealer should have noticed it.

BLHFUN

Then follow Dans email. I would start by replacing the DC Mini breaker first. It's a very simple fix and I wouldn't take it back to the dealer for this check. If the 50amp breakers does NOT fix the issues, it could be your pump. Mine turned out to be a faulty pump that was causing the breaker to trip. It works perfectly now. This breakers is above your batteries in the front gen set box. Back wall next to the inverter.

porthole

Retired
Ok here is the story..

We bought it (cyc 4200) and as we are hooking it up and going over the leveling system it stops after a few 20sec or so after trying to level it out.. The salesman said it was probably due to it sitting and the battery not fully charged. We had to hit the the auto level a couple of times and it leveled. It would level for about a few seconds and then stop. You couldnt hit it immediately as nothing would happen. after about 10sec you could hit the auto level and it would take off doing the same thing.. At this point I was hooked up to the truck too and not a 50amp service. So, we get home and we go through the same process after the battery is being charged for the 4hr drive home. Now, we couldn't hook up to the house as we didn't have a 50/30 amp adapter.. So I hook it up to go to through the inspection lane and hit the retract and have the same issue.. And when I get home and the cord is still hooked up to the truck it does the same thing. It stops after a few sec and it gives a out of stroke error. BTW it said this at the dealership too, forgot to add that. Now I figured ok maybe the its extended to far so I hook the truck back up a bring the gears up. I put blocks under the gears and hit auto level and same ol same ol... I just keep hitting auto level and it eventually levels it out.. I wonder if its something Im doing wrong? Iv gone from manual scissor jacks to this.

What truck do you have? Is it a Ford? Don't know about the other two, but the Ford's trailer connectors are not powered with the truck off.

My thoughts. First off the odds are pretty good that your truck will not charge the battery sufficiently. The wiring on most new vehicles is barely adequate in size for the loads, especially for the supposed 30 amp circuit back to the trailer connector.

Something to check as well, check the voltage at the 7 pin, then at the junction box behind the pin box then at wire where it attaches to either the battery of the bus bar (you'll have to search for that). Since you will b checking the 7 pin with no trailer attached you will need to disconnect the the battery feed wire inside the trailer to get a true no load reading.

I checked my feed with the trailer hooked up at the junction box and had approximately 1 volt drop at the bus bar. Somewhere between the pin box junction and inside the trailer there is a wire problem.

When you were having issues with it stopping, were you watching the monitor? Did you get a low voltage error? LevelUp seems to be a little sensitive to voltage.

The battery may be marginal at best. Since the selling dealer is required to supply the battery you are at the mercy of the quality they put in.

If you are trying to auto level connected to the truck, you will have issues. LevelUp starts the sequence by lowering the nose of the trailer to get a baseline. With the trailer hooked up it can't the proper baseline.
Out of stroke could very well be by the system being confused while hooked to the truck.

Where in Delaware?

Dloebrich

Sounds like the mini breaker or loose connections. Also I find that mine works best when feeding from the battery vs. the converter only (when plugged in to shore power) I think the converter does not produce the extra amps needed for the level-up

porthole

Retired
The pump always run off the battery, which would be supplemented by shore power connected and the converter operating.
You can see battery voltage on the LevelUp display by scrolling through the menu.

Two things I think about the battery voltage. Like most computer controlled stuff, the LevelUp seems to be a bit sensitive to battery voltage.
The cabling supplied may be a little on the light side for the pump when under a full load.

I solved my low voltage shutdown issues by replacing all the pump related cabling to 2 AWG marine grade wire.

sjandbj

I just rewired my big country, I wanted to move the battery switch and circuit breakers, in preparation for the solar installation. I had the same problem with my system shutting off. I talked to lippert and they told me that the system should have an 80 amp circuit breaker. I bought the new breaker and installed it along at the same time I moved the other wires. When I disconnected the wires to move the battery switch and breakers I found that all of the 6awg and 4awg connectors were lose they did not appear to be lose but when I took the cables off and examined them I was able to pull the wire out of the connectors with little effort using just my fingers. After re crimping all the connectors and changing a couple of the wires with marine grade wire I found that there is no voltage drop when operating the level up system whereas before the change I saw 1.3v drop. The batteries were at the same charge state for both tests. The unforunate part of this is the circuit breaker that is installed at the factory is only $5.00 were the 80amp circuit breaker is $45.00. It would have been nice to have it installed from the factory.
the lose crimps on the cables were a bit concerning since these are difficult to troubleshoot.

danemayer

I just rewired my big country, I wanted to move the battery switch and circuit breakers, in preparation for the solar installation. I had the same problem with my system shutting off. I talked to lippert and they told me that the system should have an 80 amp circuit breaker. I bought the new breaker and installed it along at the same time I moved the other wires. When I disconnected the wires to move the battery switch and breakers I found that all of the 6awg and 4awg connectors were lose they did not appear to be lose but when I took the cables off and examined them I was able to pull the wire out of the connectors with little effort using just my fingers. After re crimping all the connectors and changing a couple of the wires with marine grade wire I found that there is no voltage drop when operating the level up system whereas before the change I saw 1.3v drop. The batteries were at the same charge state for both tests. The unforunate part of this is the circuit breaker that is installed at the factory is only $5.00 were the 80amp circuit breaker is $45.00. It would have been nice to have it installed from the factory.
the lose crimps on the cables were a bit concerning since these are difficult to troubleshoot.

Did you happen to try the 50 amp breaker again after fixing the crimps?

goldenbear

sjandbj: Could you please post pictures of your installed 80amp breaker? I want to do this also and would like to see how you did it. Thanks

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

sjandbj

sjandbj: Could you please post pictures of your installed 80amp breaker? I want to do this also and would like to see how you did it. Thanks

goldenbear,
I am going to my rig tomorrow night so i will try to post them on Saturday.
Regards,
Steve

- - - Updated - - -

Did you happen to try the 50 amp breaker again after fixing the crimps?

I have to say I did not try the 50 amp breaker after fixing the lose crimped wires. I already had it apart so I went ahead with the re wiring.

Steve