a/c compressor doesn't kick on

Jimnkarens

When the fan is set to auto and a/c is set at temp below ambient temp, the a/c compressor should kick on after a few seconds. and it used to do this without fail. Lately, the fan comes on but the compressor does not kick on. The fan continues to run blowing warm air but no cool air.
Is there a relay or sensor that can be replaced to correct this problem?

ram22

Can refrigerant be refilled or does the unit have to be replaced?
Thank you

That I'm not sure of, check documentation, but could be bad sensor for pressure or just loose wire there. See if you can find that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DougS

Doug S
You might try replacing the start capacitor. I believe units have two, one for compressor and one for fan. As for low Freon, there is no recharging the unit although some people have modified them.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Do a Google search for your AC unit, you may find specific documentation for "Service Parts Detail" which will help you understand what parts are there and may be addressed.

The AC unit should have a 2 year warranty so before doing anything, contact Dometic.

porthole

Retired
You might be able to look inside the cover through the vent slots.
If you see any pooling of oil you have a failed AC unit.

pegmikef

A similar thing happened to mine in Oklahoma City a couple of months ago and it turned out that the A/C unit had died. So I just had the mobile tech replace it. I don't really have a complaint about it as my rig is over four years old and has 44 K plus miles on it and most of it in locations where the A/C has to be used. I have to say the new Dometic he installed seems to put out cooler air and seems more responsive. The new one cools the living area down quite a bit faster than the old one did and runs quieter. I think Dometic has made some improvements to the 15K btu models.

porthole

Retired
I think Dometic has made some improvements to the 15K btu models.

The one I replaced 2 years was significantly different then the new unit.

Since I did it myself, I got to see the guts. The newer versions were sealed much better and had nice, tight formed styrofoam insulation.

wdk450

When the fan is set to auto and a/c is set at temp below ambient temp, the a/c compressor should kick on after a few seconds. and it used to do this without fail. Lately, the fan comes on but the compressor does not kick on. The fan continues to run blowing warm air but no cool air.
Is there a relay or sensor that can be replaced to correct this problem?

The freeze sensor DOES cut out the compressor, but should not be activated when the AC is first turned on. The sensor should be warm then, but this MIGHT be worth testing or just swapping out before buying a whole new AC unit.