Advice From The Big Cyclone Owners

gunnere7

I am thinking about a 4100 or 4000 Cyclone. My main FEARS are this. Since I am use to pulling only a 35ft fifth wheel and am now looking at a 43ft one.
1. How well do they pull? ( I already have a 2012 Duramax 1 ton DRW)
2. How easy are they to get around in traffic, etc?
3. Do you have problems with campgrounds?
4. Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in Advance

DesertThumper

Hi Gunnere7. We purchased the Road Warrior 400w 2013 which is the same except for graphics and interior bells and whistles. Your transitioning statement and questions are similar to my thoughts as well and so eager to take it out in a few weeks for the big test. I am almost done with migrating all my tow accessories from my old RAM 2500 to our new RAM 3500 which is the cause of our trip being delayed. Being at 43Ft in trailer length, my thoughts are that camp site reservation would have to be carefully inspected and planned to make sure it will not become a nightmare for you. Primitive seems to be not an issue including pull through sites. I've heard that they pull very nice with a DRW but yet to find out my self here shortly. With traffic, I had the same concern two nights ago until I re-thought every move in my head and finally came to an end. Just take wider turns when you need to with safety in place and slower driving. Your Co Pilot counts. Great Gigantic Man & Women Cave on Wheels though. I ordered a big yellow sign that says "This trailer makes wide turns" for the back right corner side of the rear ramp door. Very nice trailer and look ford to enjoying it soon.

DocFather

I pull my 4100 with a 2013 Duramax Dually. It is a great match and rides awesome. I have gotten really spiffy deciding which curbs I will pull forward or back up over. HA HA - PLAN AHEAD!!!!!

ramdually4100king

I am thinking about a 4100 or 4000 Cyclone. My main FEARS are this. Since I am use to pulling only a 35ft fifth wheel and am now looking at a 43ft one.
1. How well do they pull? ( I already have a 2012 Duramax 1 ton DRW)
2. How easy are they to get around in traffic, etc?
3. Do you have problems with campgrounds?
4. Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in Advance

1) My cyclone pulls really well. I have towed it up and down a short steep... Vary steep grade. And each time the camper rolled well. Towing to temecula in a couple weeks and will report about the trip.

2) I have towed in San Diego morning and evening traffic. Once I figured out where to set the brakes so they wouldn't lock up every time I had no issues. Just signal and start merging like the truckers. If they don't have a death wish most of the time they move out of your way.

3) not yet. Most of the campgrounds we have staid in across the country have had sites big enough for the larger trailers.

4) good luck. My advice is to take any advice with a grain of salt. Everyone's experiences are different.

1231ChaseB

With me it was getting used to the fact that with the axle's set further back on the unit it don't even come close to following the truck ! I jumped a few curb's right at first but finally got used to it and no problem's since ! I alway's use Flying J fuel stop's and that help's ! It also take's some back and forth movement when backing into a site ! I do a lot of that because i don't like to put all that stress on the tire's !
chaseb

remoandiris

I went from a 39' unit to the 4000. Biggest problem I have found is many parks do NOT have sites long enough for the truck, coach, and open patio at the back of the coach. Park I am in now is an example. Truck and coach fit on the site, but I can't open the patio. If there was parking close by, I would park the truck elsewhere and have the patio open. Oh well.

As for traffic and such, just be careful and plan your turns in advance. Some gas stations are easier to get into/out of than others. My 2011 GMC 3500 pulls fine. The exhaust brake is VERY handy. I usually set the cruise control and let the cruise and exhaust brake do their jobs while all I do is steer.

iowaone

On the road it pulls great. Tracks fine no wind issues. Fuel station can be an issue. Take wide turns. I camp mostly in COE, county and state parks. I have to watch site selection but reall have been able to fine sites fine. I just watch heights, tight turns and plan how I am going to get in and out.

scottyb

Plan your drive, drive your plan. Well that's an old addage from Scuba diving but it works for me. I tend to have all my stops planned well in advance because most of my trips are currently destination trips. One of these days they will be less about "there" and more about "getting there", and we will be more random in our travels.

Use every inch of real estate available on turns. If you find yourself in a situation when you can not avoid hitting a curb, do it ever so gently, even if it means holding up traffic.

As others have said, they pull marvelous and your duramax will have no trouble. I am still amazed at how little things move around during the trip.

porthole

Retired
Curbs - if you can't avoid turn tighter.

Better to ride over it square then to possibly just scrape down the side. Or worse, fall off it half way through the turn.

No big deal riding over curbs if necessary. Just go slow. Big trucks do it everyday and sometimes cannot be avoided.

danemayer

No big deal riding over curbs if necessary. Just go slow. Big trucks do it everyday and sometimes cannot be avoided.
Duane, I'm going to disagree a bit. Big trucks have tires that are WAY different. With RVs, every report of a tire failure argues that we really need to avoid curbs, among other things. Yes, you're right that if you're going to hit a curb, better to hit it slow and square on. Best to not hit curbs.

Btw, if you go for a Class A CDL in Texas, tire touching the curb at any point in the road test is an automatic failure.

scottyb

Btw, if you go for a Class A CDL in Texas, tire touching the curb at any point in the road test is an automatic failure.

Same thing for a Class A operators.

I agree, you should strive to never hit a curb, but I know of a couple times when I had no choice. Already committed, and nowhere to go.

oscar

Hi there. Same truck. Tows like it's on tracks, just take your time to get up to speed. Drive it like a big truck, it is. Avoid tight turns. The tri-axles are not kind to tires in very tight turns.

Yes, it's large and not every campground works, although most do. When in doubt, get out and scout. (I have a folding bike for this....)

Overall the comfort and space is more than worth any extra effort.

porthole

Retired
Duane, I'm going to disagree a bit. Big trucks have tires that are WAY different. With RVs, every report of a tire failure argues that we really need to avoid curbs, among other things. Yes, you're right that if you're going to hit a curb, better to hit it slow and square on. Best to not hit curbs.

I'm not suggesting it is ok, just sometimes there is no other choice. My recent excursion through downtown Baltimore is an example.

Many moons ago I had the opportunity to learn some OTR driving the old fashioned way - get in and drive.
His skills amazed me, did stuff I would never try. Including one warehouse we delivered to that required pivoting the trailer on the side of the building, reinforced with a steel corner piece.

And sometimes we just had to ride over a curb.

Driving over a curb with my original china bombs would have been extremely concerning, not as much with my 114's

And I am referring to speeds barely over a roll.