Advice on Roof Maintenance - Pioneer Toy Hauler 2 years old

Any advice on how to maintain our roof on our 26' Toy Hauler? It's 2 years old and manual says it should be maintained yearly. We're very handy but are first time camper owners.

jerryjay11

You'll get a varied response from members on this site. Many Ideas and suggestions. So many you'll begin to get confused. I would suggest to go to the https://dicorproducts.com/ site and look for the videos under the For RV Owners. I am not pushing Dicor products, though I do use them with confidence.

NYSUPstater

I'm no expert, but do believe the roofs come w/ something like a 12 year warranty. That being said, I wash ours couple times a year w/ Spic-N-Span liquid soap and use a sponge mop. Rinse area 1st, wash a 3x3-4x4 area at a time, rinse again. End up doing a lot of rinsing. Then wash awnings and coach afterwards. While up on the roof, I take a good look at all the areas of caulking to see if any need addressing or not.

Not that a 2 year old coach should need it, but one could also consider a roof coating like RV-Armor and probly never have to worry about leaks at all. Don't hear much about it (albeit a lil pricey), but may be easier to clean VS a rubber roof.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm no expert, but do believe the roofs come w/ something like a 12 year warranty. That being said, I wash ours couple times a year w/ Spic-N-Span liquid soap and use a sponge mop. Rinse area 1st, wash a 3x3-4x4 area at a time, rinse again. End up doing a lot of rinsing. Then wash awnings and coach afterwards. While up on the roof, I take a good look at all the areas of caulking to see if any need addressing or not.

Not that a 2 year old coach should need it, but one could also consider a roof coating like RV-Armor and probly never have to worry about leaks at all. Don't hear much about it (albeit a lil pricey), but may be easier to clean VS a rubber roof.

Pretty much how I've been maintaining our now 10 year old rig each summer. Last summer, to eliminate worrying about caulking, I covered all roof caulk joints with 4" Eternabond tape. Window, door and vertical caulk still needs to be checked and redone periodically when it starts to dry out, crack and separate. Another item to look at is the black vinyl glazing trim around the outside of window panes. Over time, it can shrink and pull away from the framing, which can lead to a leak. It can be obtained from Pelland Enterprises (www.pellandent.com, Phone: 800-216-2786). They will send you samples so you can be sure to get the right style.