Alberta Border Crossing

Az_Ernie

We will be visiting Banff and Jasper National Parks in Alberta, CA. in a few weeks. Our plan is to take US-89 and cross the border at Carway, Alberta. Has anyone crossed here lately and can share with us what to expect at the border, in respect to what food items we will be allowed to cross with? We've gone to the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) web site and if we understand the rules correctly, we will not be allowed to cross with any meat, poultry or dairy products. Has this been your experience?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
The issues you "may" have are with fresh foods. Freeze your meat and hard boil any eggs. Fresh produce is iffy. When we crossed into BC 2 years ago we were allowed to keep everything we had except fresh eggs, avian flu breakout at the time. Limit the fresh foods you take just in case.
If you have a pet you'll need its current rabies vaccination certificate.
Otherwise you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDN

B and B
I know going to the USA I need to have a prescription from the Vet for my dogs special food. Same would apply with chicken or poultry in dog food.

Coming home to Canada I have never been checked for food issues. We dont carry fresh veggies to avoid issues either way.

Piperflyer

I will be crossing into Ca at Carway next week and asked a friend of mine who crosses back and forth into Ca all the time with his class A about the requirements. He also told me he hasn't really been checked for any foods that he carries in his Rv and not to worry. He did say don't try and bring any firearms or ammunition into CA with you though. I still would like to hear some more replies here though before leaving for CA.

Az_Ernie

I will be crossing into Ca at Carway next week and asked a friend of mine who crosses back and forth into Ca all the time with his class A about the requirements. He also told me he hasn't really been checked for any foods that he carries in his Rv and not to worry. He did say don't try and bring any firearms or ammunition into CA with you though. I still would like to hear some more replies here though before leaving for CA.
Thanks for the reply. If you're able (have internet access), can you please post here and let us know how your border crossing went? We'll be crossing at Carway about a week after you. Thanks!

Piperflyer

Thanks for the reply. If you're able (have internet access), can you please post here and let us know how your border crossing went? We'll be crossing at Carway about a week after you. Thanks!

We crossed at Carway heading to Calgary at 13:00 today. There was only one checkpoint opened when we pulled up, but another opened as soon as we stopped. I gave the guy my pass port and he asked:
1. What state we were residents of?
2. Where were we going?
3. How long did we plan on being in Canada?
3. Did I have any kind of fire arms or parts of firearms or ammunition (he really wanted to know this)?
4. Did we have any quantities of Alcohol or Tobacco?
5. Did we plan on selling anything in Canada?
6. Were we transporting any firewood?
We were in the check point for about (3) minutes and he sent us on our way. Didn't ask about any kind of meat, vegetables, poultry products or anything else. Really it was a piece of cake or I look to honest... Hope it is that easy getting back into the US.

Let me know how you make out!

olcoon

Border crossings these days can be a real hassle! I remember back in around 1974 a buddy & I went on a canoe trip in the Boundary Waters, and crossed into Canada. That was a real experience, the checkpoint was a cabin on an island in a lake, we went in there he asked a few questions, we had to pay a toll, tax or whatever on the food we brought with us & we were on our way. Got to talking to him, and he and at least one other guy swapped out staying there for a few days at a time. It was completely off the grid, and he had a bicycle in the cabin hooked up to a generator that was plugged into a battery charger to charge up a car battery so they could use the 2 way radio. I had the impression that he really liked it.

rhodies1

It is no more hassle getting into Canada by yourselves then we as Canadians have getting into the US.
The one thing I will let you know is,if you plan on bringing your gun,then you need to apply for a special permit allowing you to enter ,if Customs decide to perform a random check of your vehicle and RV and they find ammo or a gun and you did not have proper paperwork or did not declare it,you will be fined ,its expensive and turned back into the US......no exceptions believe me.

- - - Updated - - -

Also with respect to alcohol and tobacco,you can only bring a certain amount into Canada,Canadian government has ours taxed to death so they want you to buy ours and not bring in your cheap stuff.You can google Canada Customs website for info on what is and is not permitted and amounts allowed.

Az_Ernie

We crossed at Carway heading to Calgary at 13:00 today. There was only one checkpoint opened when we pulled up, but another opened as soon as we stopped. I gave the guy my pass port and he asked:
2. Where were we going?
3. Did I have any kind of fire arms or parts of firearms or ammunition (he really wanted to know this)?
We were in the check point for about (3) minutes and he sent us on our way. Didn't ask about any kind of meat, vegetables, poultry products or anything else. Really it was a piece of cake or I look to honest... Hope it is that easy getting back into the US.

Piperflyer,

Thanks so much! We'll be crossing on the 15th. We'll let you know how it goes.

Az_Ernie

Az_Ernie

2. Where were we going?

We crossed the border at Carway, Alberta on July the 15th. The crossing was quick and easy. There were about six or seven vehicles ahead of us at the border station when we arrived. Each vehicle took about two or three minutes to process. The following information was asked of us by the Canadian border agent:

1. Passports
2. Truck and trailer license numbers
3. How long would we be visiting
4. Where were we going
5. Were we bringing any gifts to anyone
6. Did we have any alcohol, if so how much
7. Did we have any firearms or ammunition

Thanks all for the heads-up!

LBR

So are they concerned about pets at all?....and papers of immunizations if they do ask? Neither Pipflyer nor Az_Ernie listed it as a question asked or listed such....thanx.

Tundra2084

We cross all the time at Buffalo NY, Detroit Michigan and also Ogdensburg NY when traveling to N.H and Florida and points unknown. We have been asked about bringing in to both countries, alcohol and if so how much, tobacco products and if so how much, citrus not allowed in , beef when mad cow was a concern , chicken and eggs when avian flu was a concern, And shot records for our dogs but not every time we crossed. Easiest way to cross is have passport in hand, license plate numbers written down and visible when asked, shot records available if needed and asked for. Bring no produce unless the package clearly says it was grown in the USA OR raw meats unless frozen. Bring no more tobacco products than allowed in each country and that is 200 cigarettes per adult passenger.

You will be asked your citizenship and place of residence. Where your going and for how long and possibly reason for visit. Be honest and remember they are only doing their job. Remember that FIREARMS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN CANADA AND MUST BE DECLARED.

HAVE A SAFE TRIP.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
So are they concerned about pets at all?....and papers of immunizations if they do ask? Neither Pipflyer nor Az_Ernie listed it as a question asked or listed such....thanx.

Entered Canada 3 times at different crossings in 2015. Only was asked for our dog's rabies vaccination certificate at first crossing. In addition the questions, except the firearms one, varied at each crossing. It's all subjective and at the guard's discretion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Entered Canada 3 times at different crossings in 2015. Only was asked for our dog's rabies vaccination certificate at first crossing. In addition the questions, except the firearms one, varied at each crossing. It's all subjective and at the guard's discretion.
Customs agents will not be too consistent with anything they do at the checkpoint so as not to be predictable. They don't want you to know what they are going to ask or look for.
IF you should be found with some form of contraband in your possession when trying to cross it will be documented in the system and will show up indefinitely whenever you present your passport causing you aggravation at every future crossing.
Bottom line....they can make it a lot more difficult on you than you can on them. If you are doing your best to play by the rules customs won't be a problem.