Another converter question.

okcstang

I have a 2010 heartland sundance. We are having the typical dimming of the lights and what not. Last night all the lights went dim and the LPG detector went off. I checked the 12v battery and it was only at 11 volts with the camper plugged in. I disconnected the battery and everything in the trailer shut down. I now have a battery charger hooked up and everything seems fine. The battery is brand new and all this is while plugged into shore power. What is confusing to me is losing all power when disconnecting the the battery. Shouldn't the converter run the lights while the battery is disconnected? Thanks for your help in advance.

rxbristol

I believe it works this way:

1. Electricity in
2. Goes to converter
3. Goes to battery
4. Goes to fuse panel
5. Goes to 12 volt systems

When you disconnected your battery it broke the link. It has been mentioned, and it has helped me twice, you have a tiny circuit breaker on the side of a bus connection near the battery that needs to be reset. There is a picture on one of the threads, but it looks like a very small black dot on the side of a connection terminal. Find that, reset it, and I bet it cures your problem.

branson4020

Icantre Member
This sounds like the converter is not working. If you are on shore power and the converter is working, disconnecting the battery will have no effect on your 12V lights.

danemayer

X2 on the converter not working.

Check the circuit breaker panel to make sure no breakers are tripped. Sometimes they all look ok, but one has moved slightly and needs to be reset.

Locate the power converter. It's usually in between the fuse box and the battery and is usually found behind the basement wall.

Make sure the power converter is plugged in. If not, when you plug it in, tie the cord in place so it doesn't vibrate loose and fall out of the socket.

Check the fuses on the power converter.

If you're running stuff by putting a battery charger on the battery, your mini-circuit breaker on the buss bar is ok. But if you have to replace the power converter, when the new one is in, check the battery voltage. You should see >13 volts if the converter is running and the mini-breaker is not tripped.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you've been moving the rig around, check the 120V plug for the converter to be sure it's seated in the outlet for it. Check the circuit breaker on the main breaker panel, too, make sure it didn't trip for some reason. Check the three ATC fuses on the converter, too. If the battery was recently installed by an unwary technician, it is possible that the wires got reversed. Those fuses are there to protect the converter if that happens. It's also possible that the two leads from the converter to the battery loosened at the converter. Those wires connect to both the 12V distribution panel and the battery (see wiring diagram in manual). Even without the battery, the converter should still supply 12V to the systems.

When all systems are working as they should, you will notice the 12V lights suddenly get brighter for a short time, then return to normal intensity. That's the converter in Boost mode, charging the battery back up.

okcstang

Thanks for all the replies. I checked for mini circuit breaker on power bar, it's not tripped. Power to the battery cables unhooked is 2.1 volts. Power at the back of the converter is 12.2 volts. I have a new converter coming. I also think I might have trouble at the pole. I checked it with a meter and one side is 117 blots and the other is 107. So they might have a low voltage problem at this rv park.

danemayer

I might have trouble at the pole. I checked it with a meter and one side is 117 blots and the other is 107. So they might have a low voltage problem at this rv park.
At 107 volts, you're close to the point where some electronic devices shut down to prevent damage. You might do well to move to another site or if necessary to another park.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You would also do well to get a surge suppressor for your rig, if you don't already have one.

okcstang

It was 100% the converter. Put the new one in (kinda of a tight squeeze for a fat boy) and everything is working as intended. Have 13.2 volts at the battery. Bought the surge protector today for the 50 amp pole service. Will be changing parks tomorrow, if they don't fix the low voltage problem. Thanks again for all the help.