Apples to Oranges

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just read an article stating that Grand Design has produced their 10,000th Solitude. This seemed like a great accomplishment in the article. But then I did some research. They have only been in business since 2013 -- so that is roughly 2500 units a year, averaged to 10 per working day.

To compare, when both Ford F-150 plants are running at full production, they have the combined capacity to make as many 700,000 half-ton pickups a year (*written in 2015).

RV shipments (THE WHOLE INDUSTRY!) in 2016 totaled 430,691 units.

So when we get frustrated that the RV manufacturing and sales should run more like automobile manufacturing and sales, remember this comparison.

Apples to Oranges.

justafordguy

So you're saying that Ford builds a much higher quality product and a lot more of them? If so I agree 100%. :D

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So you're saying that Ford builds a much higher quality product and a lot more of them? If so I agree 100%. :D

Yes the mass production demands the quality and exactness from unit to unit, thus the investment in machinery, parts, and training of employees to replicate the manufacturing techniques exactly. RVs are NOT constructed in a mass production plant. They are essentially hand-made in a linear process. I don't even know if they produce the exact same floorplan more than 2-3 times in a run.

wdk450

Yes the mass production demands the quality and exactness from unit to unit, thus the investment in machinery, parts, and training of employees to replicate the manufacturing techniques exactly. RVs are NOT constructed in a mass production plant. They are essentially hand-made in a linear process. I don't even know if they produce the exact same floorplan more than 2-3 times in a run.

If you watch the "How Its Made" programs on different car production processes you see a LOT of robots. I didn't see any robots at Heartland, and wonder if Lippert has any welding robots for the frames and slide rooms.

Alan_B

It is tempting to compare RV manufacturing with automotive. However I think the better comparison is home building.

Automotive assembly is all about standard parts assembled in an environment designed to reduce variability.

RV manufacturing is much more like home building with lumber, plumbing, wiring, etc. cut on the spot to produce lots of different models and floor plans in the same space.

dave10a

The main reason automobiles are much better build is they are mostly assembled by robots and automated tools that are more precision as well as repeatability. RV are built by hand with a high turn over of employees in many assembly plants. So it is more pot luck for RV's.