ATF: Big Country - Front Cap Color

Bob Vaughn

When we left on our Trip to Alaska the front of our Big Country was normal. We always keep our rv in an enclosed rv port so it does not sit in the sun. As we neared the end of our 19,000 mile trip I thought the front top edge was covered with dirt. When we got home and was able to wash it I quickly figured out that it was not Alaska Highway dirt but the color was faded. I have read posts of people having to have their front caps repainted. Is there a way to check my vin number to see if my front cap is painted or if it has molded in color? My rv looks horrible....

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired
When we left on our Trip to Alaska the front of our Big Country was normal. We always keep our rv in an enclosed rv port so it does not sit in the sun. As we neared the end of our 19,000 mile trip I thought the front top edge was covered with dirt. When we got home and was able to wash it I quickly figured out that it was not Alaska Highway dirt but the color was faded. I have read posts of people having to have their front caps repainted. Is there a way to check my vin number to see if my front cap is painted or if it has molded in color? My rv looks horrible....
Hey Bob you know what I do with my RVs when the mattress wears out and paint starts to fade, but don,t go to that place close to you. I won,t mention any names. The new Big Country,s and Big Horns are beautiful.
Lindaw

GOTTOYS

Hey Bob, if it's gray it's gel coat not paint. Mine did the same thing. I had the front painted, now the back is doing it too. If you're going to have it painted might as well get the back done too as it won't be long before it does the same thing...I bet that makes your day...Don

Bob Vaughn

I received a response back from Heartland and they denied any responsibility for the fading. They claim that I did not wax it enough. Only the top half faded not the bottom half. If there was not a problem then why did Heartland change to painted front and rear caps? My BC has spent 75% of its life in a fully enclosed RV port. Had I used it more in the 1st year of owner ship then maybe the fading would have started sooner. My second year of owner ship it did not get taken out of the RV port because of getting a new hip so walking and climbing steps were out of the question. I am disappointed with Heartlands response because I have been such a staunch supporter of Heartland. Now I am having some grave misgivings........

GOTTOYS

I received a response back from Heartland and they denied any responsibility for the fading. They claim that I did not wax it enough. Only the top half faded not the bottom half. If there was not a problem then why did Heartland change to painted front and rear caps? My BC has spent 75% of its life in a fully enclosed RV port. Had I used it more in the 1st year of owner ship then maybe the fading would have started sooner. My second year of owner ship it did not get taken out of the RV port because of getting a new hip so walking and climbing steps were out of the question. I am disappointed with Heartlands response because I have been such a staunch supporter of Heartland. Now I am having some grave misgivings........
Couldn't agree with you more. I have the same feelings. I had my front cap painted now the rear cap is turning white. My fender shirts are turning brown and the clear coat has blistered and is peeling off. A couple more trips to the bodyshop and I will have a brand new exterior..When will it end? 2011 model and if I let go I won't be able to give it away because it would look like a 1991 model that hasn't been taken care of...Pretty disappointed..Don

Bob Vaughn

I have an issue with the response I received from Heartland........The sides do not seem to be fading just the fronts and backs. So there must be a problem with the front and back caps and thats why they went with painted caps. Heartland said it had to do with full body paint.

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired
I have an issue with the response I received from Heartland........The sides do not seem to be fading just the fronts and backs. So there must be a problem with the front and back caps and thats why they went with painted caps. Heartland said it had to do with full body paint.
well BOB I know that is disturbing knowing how well you take care of your RV.
Linda

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I hate to say this, but I've seen the same issue with similar-aged other brands -- even ones under roofs. It has to be an issue with the cap supplier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Vaughn

Today I paid a company to come and work on the paint. They cleaned the oxidation off and then polished the whole front. It looks good as new. I just do not think I should have had to pay this company $225.00 to come fix something that apparently was a manufacturing defect. I paid big bucks to have an enclosed rv garage built to protect my unit from the sun but apparently taking it into the sun to use it took its toll ........

ealley1

We own a 2011 Caliber, same paint color. Have used it very seldom and it is stored inside. This summer we took it out and used it while we built a home. The front cap faded really bad. We took it to where we bought it and they said it was an issue with the paint Heartland used on the 2011 models and to call Heartland. We did and of course it is out of warranty. I read older threads from 2011, 2012 that are now closed in which Heartland took responsibility for the faulty cap paint and paid to have it fixed. Why not pay for ours? If we would have had it out the first year maybe it would have faded than and we would have noticed earlier. Still same problem, same reason, Heartland should stand behind it.

danemayer

We own a 2011 Caliber, same paint color. Have used it very seldom and it is stored inside. This summer we took it out and used it while we built a home. The front cap faded really bad. We took it to where we bought it and they said it was an issue with the paint Heartland used on the 2011 models and to call Heartland. We did and of course it is out of warranty. I read older threads from 2011, 2012 that are now closed in which Heartland took responsibility for the faulty cap paint and paid to have it fixed. Why not pay for ours? If we would have had it out the first year maybe it would have faded than and we would have noticed earlier. Still same problem, same reason, Heartland should stand behind it.

Hi ealley1,

Sorry to hear that your front cap is fading. As I recall from prior posts on fading caps, it affected selected models with color-infused gelcoat, not painted caps. I think you might be the first North Trail owner to report a fading problem. If your cap is painted, you may have a different problem than what you've been reading about.

Sometimes Heartland fixes problems after the unit is out of warranty. It's probably an accommodation in the interest of customer satisfaction. But there's always going to come a day when warranty and post-warranty accommodations come to an end. Sounds like you're there.

The information in post #10 may be helpful to you.