ATF: Bighorn - Bike Rack

Helenbell

I would like to put a bike rack on the back of my 2015 Bighorn. Are there any limitations or concerns about the weight?

mlpeloquin

First you will void your warranty. Dexter does not recommend it. That being said may have done it. Some have bolted the hitch on and others welded. It appears the the ones that are going to hold up do to the shock and vibration the back end gets have a double cross bar welded on for support. Do a search for bike rack hitch and you will find some posting that other Heartland owners have used. Do email them to see how there hitch and bike racks have held up. Here is one I have found. The ones with the double cross bar were welded ether by the owner or a welding/trailer shop and were custom made. Apparently did not cost that much.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/48558-Big-Horn-rear-hitch-receiver?highlight=bixe+hitch

danemayer

First you will void your warranty. Dexter does not recommend it.
Hi HelenBell,

If you have a 2015 Bighorn, I'm guessing you might be past the 1 year warranty.

Lippert makes the frames and is pretty squirrelly about putting a receiver hitch on the frame. If your rig were less than 1 year old, which is the length of Lippert's frame warranty, and you had a frame problem, the hitch might possibly complicate your discussion with Lippert. Or not.

That said, as mentioned, a lot of people have had 2" receiver hitches fabricated to hold bicycles.

Hi I installed a custom 2 inch receiver and a good quality locking bike rack. Never had any issues, carries bikes better than my mini van. We have a 2009 3055 RL. FYI with bikes on rack your ladder is only accessible if your a contortionist. Good Luck! Mike

I would like to put a bike rack on the back of my 2015 Bighorn. Are there any limitations or concerns about the weight?