ATF: Bighorn - Entry Door Security

tomsmythe

I at store my 2011 TI-32 at a locked storage yard. A couple nights ago, someone jumped the fence and broke into 11 RV's including mine. They used a screwdriver to pry open the aluminum door flashing and then moved the door latches back, including the dead bolt. They entered several others the same way. Is there anything made to reinforce this door flashing to make it more resistant to break ins? Fortunately, they did not steal anything of value.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Make sure the deadbolt fully extends and is not stopped by the frame. Mine did that, even though you could remove the key. I had to drill a hole into the frame member so the deadbolt would fully extend. Beyond that, if they want in, they'll just break the window, cut the screen, and reach in. That's what they did to mine and got both televisions.

jayc

Legendary Member
Think about this. You're a burglar. Which would you rather do, break into a house with dogs, prying neighbors and police patrols or a trailer locked in a storage lot with no one around. Some lots have security cameras, some have security cameras that actually work and produce an image that can be seen.

As a retired property crimes detective, the best thing you can do is remove the TV and any other valuables that are easily removed and put a sign on the front door, telling the crook what you have done. Some burglars can read and some can read English but thats a better way to achieve what you want to do.