ATF: Bighorn - Refrigerator Slide-Out Hydraulic

Westwind

Our Refrigerator Slide-Out stopped working and wouldn't open on our trip home. I talked to the dealer service manager and because they are 4 1/2 hours away I decided to open the Darco bottom of the FW and could see the bolt that held the hydraulic piston to the frame bracket had come off.
I put it back on and was able to open the slide and remove our medications and food.

1st question: What should I do to insure that this nut doesn't work off the bolt again? I've put the nut on and snugged it to the bracket so I could operate the slide.

2nd Question: The orange plastic coating covering the Hydraulic hose came off a section of the hose and the nylon covering is exposed and I need to cover it. I'm thinking the loose hydraulic might have caused it. Any suggestions?

Emailing me is fine or giving me a contact to call is OK because I will be working tomorrow and won't be home until your office is closed.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure exactly what bolt came off, but you might try replacing it with a Nyloc Nut, or add a jam nut.
It you think that the hydraulic hose is still usable you might try wrapping it in Rescue Tape or add a chunk of electrical plastic flex tubing.

Peace
Dave

Westwind

Talked to Heartland today. They called and we talked about my questions, they agreed that I should try finding a lock washer that would fit the piston thread or at least
put some "Blue Lock tight" to prevent the nut from backing off again. It's difficult finding lock washers that size locally but I'm just starting the search. They also recommending covering over the Hydraulic hose area that the orange plastic coating was off with some type of shrink wrap coating or something that would protect the exposed braided area.
I think I might do the same on the opposing slide just to play it safe, I have the bottom open so I might has well cover my bases before I button everything up again.

Thanks to Heartland for their quick response, I appreciate it.

Westwind

This is a what if question. I took care of my previous problem with the Hydraulic, I ended up using LocTite (Blue) on the nut which held the Hydraulic cylinder to the frame bracket, not a lot of room on the bolt for say a lock washer.
I also recommend unbolting the bottom cover from the back end of the trailer forward or the reverse until you get to the area you need to get to. You will then have to cut the silver insulation sheet, but at least your undercover will be in one piece. You will just reattach it.
I realize now that on our trip home from Washington, DC there wasn't anything holding that slide it, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on what I should have to secure the slide prior to our leaving on our trip home?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If I am understanding your question correctly, what you need is a couple of ratchet straps.
I had a leaky hydraulic cylinder and the slide would open up as I traveled.
I just took a ratchet strap and wrapped it around whatever I could find under the slide, then tightened it up. I cut off the excess strap.
I traveled like that for about a month. Kind of a PIA but it worked till I could get it fixed.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Regarding your hydraulic hose. If it is not leaking, and you just want to protect it, a length of flexible hose with an ID greater than the hydraulic hose OD, split lengthwise and held over the hydraulic hose with cable ties should work, too.

Westwind

Hose was fine just the orange vinyl covering had pulled down the hose and exposed the braded covering, I covered it in "Gorilla Tape", just love that stuff, just don't wrap it around two fingers. Anyhow I had no leaks, just the bolt had come off and the hydraulic had fallen out of the bracket that held it in place so it could push the slide out and in.
I am going to work on some rachet straps for the "Just in Case" day and carry them with me in the trailer, when I stop to think of what could have happened on the way home I Cringe !!