ATF: Bighorn - Slides making dent in floor and carpets

violinini1

I recently had my Big Horn to the dealer in Elkhart, IN and complained about the slides making dents in the kitchen floor, the dining room carpet and the bedroom carpet. He told me to use a thin piece of plexi-glass to protect the floor. I got to thinking about this, and I paid more than $70K for this unit and I feel that this is not the right solution. What a pain it is going to be to put plexi-glass down every time I want to close the slides. Is there any other solution for this? Should the slides be making these dents? Please help. I can get you pictures if needed. I am still under the 1 year warranty as I purchased my unit back in February, 2016.

danemayer

Hi violinini1,

Apparently this problem is common enough across the brands using Lippert Slideouts that Lippert sells Slide-out Slickers. Here's a link on Amazon. On mega-slides, there's a lot of weight being moved.

That said, you might take a look at the rollers as the slide moves to verify that they're rolling and look ok.

Slides can be adjusted, and an adjustment might fix the problem. But from what I've seen posted on this forum, it's a bit of a crap shoot with dealer techs adjusting slides. They might fix the problem, or create a worse problem.

violinini1

Dan,
Thank you for the speedy reply. I don't think the Lippert Solution will work for me as they seem to be for a different shaped enclosed slide. However, I may pursue the adjustment idea once I have done some more research on the ramifications. Obviously, I don't want to do anything that would cause them not to open or close properly and then cause leaks, or worse. It seems that if so many are having this issue, then Lippert would do something about it. It is discouraging to have such a nice RV, but with tracks across the kitchen floor.

Sincerely,
Don and Jan Allen

sengli

Mine does the same thing. The slide rollers leave "dents" in the kitchen flooring, when stored for any period of time. Same with the slide rollers on the carpet in the bedroom. I just dont pay a lot of attention to it.

travlingman

Mine leaves indentions in the bedroom carpet. I bought a set of the slide out slickers a couple of months back. So far they seem to help. They will work for any slide as you let the roller come up over it. Don't see how they can cause any slide problems as they are thin and really don't cause the slide any issue as I can see yet.

Kathi-27

our 2017 3875fb put 2 big marks in our vinyl floor door side kitchen slide. had to have vinyl floor repaired. found this is very common problem on many rv's of all brands, got the slide slickers. they work great. have had no problems sense.

violinini1

UPDATE:
I received an unexpected call from the factory yesterday after posting this concern. He too, suggested the Lippert Slicker option, but also stated that the slides could be adjusted very easily. After further discussion, I told him that I planned to attend the National Rally in Goshen in June and he suggested that I put this down on the form as one of the items that can be taken care of at the Rally.

Hooray for Heartland!!

padre44

I personally don't see what the big deal is. Every RV I've ever had has some marks from slides. There is some weight involvedl that is bound to make some marks. I just live with it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We have one scratch on the floor from one of our slides.

Not sure if there was a stone caught under it or maybe one of the feet from the recliners might have been over the edge when the slide was put in or out.

rhodies1

I recently had my Big Horn to the dealer in Elkhart, IN and complained about the slides making dents in the kitchen floor, the dining room carpet and the bedroom carpet. He told me to use a thin piece of plexi-glass to protect the floor. I got to thinking about this, and I paid more than $70K for this unit and I feel that this is not the right solution. What a pain it is going to be to put plexi-glass down every time I want to close the slides. Is there any other solution for this? Should the slides be making these dents? Please help. I can get you pictures if needed. I am still under the 1 year warranty as I purchased my unit back in February, 2016.

This issues seems to be common,I have 2012 and have the same issue,my slides do not leak in or out so I'm not interested in doing anything to screw this up.The marks are not that noticeable
so I'll live with it for now.Lippert should be supplying slickers with each new unit as this seems to be a problem they cause and don't appear to be very interested in correcting.

Last edited by a moderator:

violinini1

I personally don't see what the big deal is. Every RV I've ever had has some marks from slides. There is some weight involvedl that is bound to make some marks. I just live with it.

I am very happy for you that you have owned so many RV's. We had to save quiet a while to get this one as this is a one time life time investment for us, hence why we want to try to keep it in as good as shape as possible.

Sincerely, Don