ATF: Cyclone - What does the Canadian Arctic Package include?

ctcasper5

No one can tell me what is included, use and care of the components, what switches operate what? I have had different answers in my PDI, from the warranty department and from the engineering department. All I want is something in writing telling me what is on the rig and how to properly use and maintain it. I have attatched a picture of the switches that we were told were 12v (black) and regular power (white) for the tank heaters and heated valves during our PDI. Then the factory told us the 110V red switch are for tank heaters and 12V switch are for water line heaters. We didnt know the water lines were heated and were told the tank valves were???

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 166

brianharrison

Darn - how long has it been marketed as a Canadian Artic Package? Now noone will want to come visit us - it is not always cold up here.....

Brian

danemayer

No one can tell me what is included, use and care of the components, what switches operate what? I have had different answers in my PDI, from the warranty department and from the engineering department. All I want is something in writing telling me what is on the rig and how to properly use and maintain it. I have attatched a picture of the switches that we were told were 12v (black) and regular power (white) for the tank heaters and heated valves during our PDI. Then the factory told us the 110V red switch are for tank heaters and 12V switch are for water line heaters. We didnt know the water lines were heated and were told the tank valves were???

Hi ctcasper5,

I can understand your confusion. The Brand Managers have previously explained that the Canadian Arctic Package is another name for the Yeti Package. Content has been described in various ways. To clear it up for you, I've attached a snapshot of the marketing literature.

I have the tank heating pads that were the only part of this that was offered in 2010 but have installed 12V heat tape on my own and have experience with both.

The water line heat tape is on the fresh water line only. That in combination with the tank heating pads will allow you to fill your fresh tank during the day and then put the hose away, and use the fresh water system in sub-freezing temps. The heat tape, along with warm air from the furnace, will keep your fresh water line from freezing in very cold weather. Note that you'll need to keep the furnace running so that warm air goes into the underbelly. Otherwise you'll freeze the water lines to the kitchen and possibly to the bathroom. Those lines do not have heat tape.

Some models have 12V auto-temp-sensing heat tape, where others have a switch to turn on the heat tape.

Important: You must keep at least a few gallons of water in each holding tank if you run the tank heating pads. If you run with gray tanks open, or you run the fresh tank dry, or don't put some water in the tanks after dumping, it's possible for the heating pad to burn a hole in the tank. I learned that the hard way.

If the temps will be lower than mid 20s (F), I'd suggest you also run a 100-150W heat lamp in the basement, over the water pump. That will keep the pump and nearby water lines warm. Be sure it's secure and can't fall down into contact with the floor or anything else.

You'll also want to put a 60W drop lamp in the UDC to protect controls there.

Unless something has changed very recently, I am 99.9% sure that the Canadian Arctic Package/Yeti Package does not include gate valve heaters. As long as you are running the furnace, the gate valves will probably be ok down zero (F). On our Landmark, at -15F the gray #1 and black tank valves will freeze. The Gray #2 usually goes a few degrees lower. If it warms up enough during the day, the valves will thaw by themselves. I've had several freezes without any damage.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Canadian Arctic Package 2.pdf
    503.8 KB · Views: 241

ctcasper5

Thanks danemayer,
We figured that they should have something in them when the heat pads were on but were not sure. We have froze in the kitchen and back bath like you said with no damage. What worried us is that the grey tank that goes to the sink, the valve froze at 17 degrees and that seemed a bit odd. Granted there was a wind chill so we assume that was why. But having been told that there were valve heaters on them, we figured that shouldnt happen. We got that we had to have the furnace running to keep things warm under there. My hubby put in heat lamps in the underbelly and plans to insulate it a bit better. Also, the water lines to the back were laying against the steal beams, so he is working on that so that they wont freeze as easily. Over all we are happy with our rig, with these few modifications and adding some insulation to the garage area for the kids we are hoping to be good for awhile. We bought this as a long term investment and are okay with making it what we need it to be, just wanna know what should be there already so we know what we gotta add and if something isnt working as it should be!

danemayer

As you get further away from the furnace, the underbelly heat will be less effective. I dont know where the valves are located on the Cyclone, but I could well imagine a gate valve near or behind the axles freezing much sooner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD