Atwood water heater not working on 110

eaddel

We have a 2014 Big Country 3596RE. While camping recently, connected to shore power, our hot water became, at best, lukewarm water. We check all electrical connections and fuses ad they all checked out as good. We switched to propane and the had hot water. We don't know what happened. We started out with hot water then it wasn't hot anymore. Anyone have any ideas as to what we can try to fix it? I looked at the manuals in this site and haven't found on that matches what we need.

jimtoo

Hi eaddel,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If you have an outside shower check the handles, hot and cold to make sure they are turned off, not just the off button on the shower head. Also if you had hot water to start with on electric, they the element may have burned out if it works on propane,

Let us know what you find.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi eaddel,

Did you see the Water Heater Troubleshooting Guide? It's based on the Suburban Water Heater.

Atwood Units are a little different but the same concepts apply. I've attached a wiring diagram for a typical Atwood Water Heater. When you flip the switch for electric, the control board powers a relay that closes the circuit to the heating element.

Attachments

• Atwood Water Heater Wiring.pdf
    74.8 KB · Views: 23

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If the water heater tank was not full and you turned on the 120V switch, you might have burnt up the heating element. Your outside shower would be the 1st thing I would check.