batteries... 6v vs. 12v

I have been contimplating changing from the existing 2 - 12 volt in paralel to 2 - 6 volt golf cart batteries... I like to dry camp and as it has gotten colder the heater lasts about 6 hours during the night usually having to get up around 4 am to start generators....was reading about the 6 volt system and sound like you would get more amphours this way.... just wondering if anyone out there has made the same move that i am thinking of, and was it a good move..

Lynn1130

Many of us who dry camp made that switch long ago. You will even find some running 4 or more 6 volts. This is the second trailer that I have used two 6 volts. You certainly won't have to get up during the night to start the genny. If you dry camp often there are other mods that you can do to help with power consumption. One of those that I did was switch all of the interior lights out to led.

If you search here you can find some of the posts by those who have made mods for 6 volt batteries.

danemayer

Hi rockyemt274,

No doubt the change to 6 volt batteries will help, but I'm wondering if you have something else sucking up power from the batteries. Suburban furnaces have a spec of about 6-12 amps depending on size of the furnace. Without knowing which furnace model you have on a Prowler, I'd guess yours is in the middle - around 8 amps. 6 hours * 8 amps = 48 amp hours. And that would be if the furnace were running continuously, which is doubtful. I'm not a battery expert, but I'd think you'd get a lot more than 6 hours runtime out of 2 good 12volt batteries.

pegmikef

Two six volt batteries like T105s will provide more amperage than two twelve volt batteries. The six volt batteries are bigger than the group 27 12 volt batteries that most of the rigs come with, so you will have to get larger battery boxes.

Lynn1130

DaneMayer, I left the one 12 volt in the trailer right after I purchased it because I did not have time to install the 2-6s before a turkey hunting trip. It did not get really cold probable into the 30's the first couple of nights and I was up both nights jumping the battery to get the generator going. It would last about 6 hours with the furnace running. Needless to say it did not take long for me to make the switch when I was back from the trip.

These furnaces draw a bunch of battery power.

Sumo

I have 4 6 volt batteries, works great if you have the room. We run a 120 volt fan for 8 to 12 hrs, 4 hrs of TV and still have enough battery to heat a cup of coffee in the microwave.

PS. the microwave and the coffee maker really like the generator.

CrazyCooter

The voltage of the batteries isn't as important as the Ah capacity in total, however flooded GC2's are the best bang for the buck in an RV battery upgrade. You will lose 20%+ as temps fall below freezing, so you need enough to get through the night preferably without drawing below 60% state of charge.

Say you have a pair of healthy 27's right now and move to a pair of GC2's, at best you will end up with 33% more capacity depending on variables between models/manufacturers. If you can't get through the night and need 2-3 hours more capacity and don't want to abuse your batteries, you really need more than a pair of GC2's......OR...Install a catalytic heater that draw no current and some LED's for those longer nights inside. This won't add all that weight to your ride either......

Is this for a 5th wheel or TT? I run 3 AGM 8D's as they fit in my front cabinet and don't need boxes/venting......

Take some measurements and see what fits and forget about the 6V vs.12V debate! Install as much as you need and what fits the space you have.